SQL 2k Install Failure in Cluster

• The installation of SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition Hung after some 10-15 minutes.

The relavant part of the sqlsp.log is below

14:59:12 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -F "C:\WINNT\sqlstp9.log" -I MSSQLSERVER -V 1 -M 0 -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" -H 2424946 -U sa -P

###############################################################################

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

15:48:23 Process Exit Code: (1)

15:48:23 Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and C:\WINNT\sqlstp9.log for more information.

15:48:23 Action CleanUpInstall:

15:48:23 C:\WINNT\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service SQLSERVERAGENT

15:48:23 Process Exit Code: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

15:48:23 C:\WINNT\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service MSSQLSERVER

15:48:23 Process Exit Code: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

15:48:23 StatsGenerate returned: 2

15:48:23 StatsGenerate (0x0,0x1,0xf00000,0x400,1033,303,0x0,0x1000000a,0,0,0

15:48:23 StatsGenerate -1,administrator)

15:48:23 Installation Failed.

This is a 2 node active/passive cluster. The same error occurs whether installing to one node or both. A domain administrator account os used to run the setup and for the mmsqqlserver sqlagent services to run.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation.

Graham Farrow

DBA

Mastercare Central Division

Graham Farrow
    DBA

• Please post complete log information on sqlstp9.log from both nodes.

• The system is being re-built so the log is lost, however the log on the other node was similar.

MS DTC was not installed prior to running the SQL setup. In the light of information received we strongly beleive that this is what is causing the problem. When the the system is re-built comclust will be run on each node.

Can you advise me whether I am going in the right direction. It will be Sunday at the earliest before SQL Server can be reloaded.

Thanks for your reply.

Graham Farrow

DBA

Graham Farrow
    DBA

• When we built our active/passive cluster, MS DTC was automatically loaded with SQL Server Enterprise Edition. We had problems with it until COMCLUST was run.

So, I believe that will solve your problem.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for the answer. Yes, I did not run comclust.

The servers and cluster had to be re-built. Comclust was run on both nodes and the setup program successfully installed SQL 2k on both nodes. Failover worked correctly.

Thanks again.

Graham Farrow

Graham Farrow

DBA

Graham Farrow
    DBA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply