SQL 2K Standard Edition

• Hi,

SQL 2K Standard edition has a max memory of 2GB.  Is this per server or per instance? 

If it was per instance then it would depend on what the OS supports i.e Win2000 server (4GBRAM)or Win2000 advanced (8gbRAM)server.

• Does not matter whether Windows Adv server or windows server.  Max memory for SQL 2000 Standard edition is 2GB per server.

• I do not know for sure but logic is telling me that the limit is 2 Gb per instance on a server. My reasoning is as follows:

if you have one instance you can look at sqlservr.exe in the task manager and see it's memory usage.

if you add another instance to the same server you can see another instance of sqlservr.exe executing as well.

since there are 2 distinct instances and they are not bound to one another in any way they both can utilize the 2 Gb max memory each.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I tend to agree with Rudy, not tested but I also would think that as each instance has its own process and memory footprint.  Each would I think be limited to 2gb (std ed)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply