SQL 6,5 restore problem

• My experience of SQL 6,5 is not very grate. But now we got a diskcrash on the disk with the logfile (no raid...). Ok I think, now problem, we got backup. I changed the disk droped the database, but when I should do the restore there was nothing in the backupdevice. So, now I have the original databasefile and the original logfile (we send the disk to IBAS for repair), but I have now database bacause off the drop I made 🙂

My question is if anybody has an idea about this? Is it possible to restore the database? I have tried to create a new with the same databasedevices with no luck.

Thanks from Joel

• Er, yuk! 

As you're obviously finding out now, SQL 6.5 is a bit of a mongrel.  One major difference from SQL 7/2000 is that all information regarding the quite complicated makeup of user databases in master, and only in master.  If you dropped the missing/suspect database then all its info was removed from master.

My SQL 6.5 is a bit rusty, but given that you have the physical files back, you might do well to restore a pre-crash copy of master (take a backup of the current master first!) and then start SQL with the user database files back in place.  If the databases come up suspect you can run the good old unsuspectification script to see if you can get it back up.

Hope this helps.   Won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Cheers,
    - Mark

• I think that you can create a new backup device (disk), then put your backup file in that location, same name, etc. and perform the restore.

• You don't have to create a backup device.. Just create your db with new devices, then right click and select backup restore.Go to the restore tab and click on "from device" - On the next screen click add file then go to your back up location.

Bada Boom Bada Bing

• The problem was that I didn't have anything in the backupdevice. But I still got the databasefiles. So restore is not possible. I have no backup on the master database either (only a really old one). I got a thought abut Marks idea abut restore master database, is it possible to manipulate sysdatabases table in the master database with the information about my crashed db and the see if it comes up? Very dangerous operation I think 🙂     

Have a good time  /Joel

• I had this happen to me many years ago.  All you need to do is create the data base with different data & log file names.  Stop the SQL Server Service.  At the OS level (via windows explorer) delete the new files just created with the database creation.  Rename your data & log files using the names that were used when you re-created the database.  Start the SQL Server Service up again.

This way, master knows about the database and you get your database back.

Good Luck

-A.

• Joel,

Angela's suggestion is worth a go.  It should work if your 6.5 data and log files were separate, and if there's been no increasing of either file (this is done manually in 6.5) since the original creation.  Even if there has been increases - addition of new segments - then it may still work, but consistency errors will eventually find their way into your database.  So, if all goes ok I suggest BCPing out all your data and rebuilding the database anew.

If the suggestion doesn't work, it may be worthwhile going back to that old copy of master.  It's possible that your user database size has been static for some time and that copy of master still has some good info.

Cheers,
    - Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply