SQL Admin proviledges vs system admin in the domain

• Hi all,

In our network we have 2 admins  one is for system like Active dir. , OS mailserver admin. And other one is DBA. System admin have restricted  domain admin priviledges to DBA  and have only SA  PRIVILEDGES AND WINDOWS LOGIN HAS  permission to connect to sql server.

But sql dba CAN not monitor or handle  sql sever thru Terminal server remotely  as not having the domain role. 

Can anyone tell me what priviledges DBA SUPPOSE TO GET.  I believe dba should have access to full sql server  and create folders. Briefly I need to e aware about the reasons why should we ask for another admin provledges for dba also.

Thanks

cham

• To use Terminal Services the DBA needs to be a local administrator on the server.  He does not need domain admin rights.

When in doubt - test, test, test!

Wayne

• Local Administrator rights should be enough for a DBA, you don't need to be a Domain Admin, even though I am a Domain Admin at my site.  If you have Local Admin rights then you will be able to use terminal services, run performance counters, create folders, copy backup files around etc,

Cheers,

Angela

• Hi All,

This again Permission  issues Vs. System. Administrator  and a DbA  positions.

As a dba  you need to  move user db's and create new servers , Transfer logins over network to another server.  And and .mdf .ldf file copy will be over the network further recomendation is sql services to start with network admin account . 

Can anyone tell me how far DBA should have access to do all operations , what I feel is  local administrator  for sql  is not enough and  even my dts packages fail when i transfer  logins?

Thanks

chem

• Again local admin access to every sql server.

(And of course I remove the builtin\administrator for each sql server, which means the domain admins do not get admin access to the sql server)

Steven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply