SQL Agent Job Scheduling

• Let's say we have an instance of SQL Server (the default instance) and two PROD databases within in that default instance, DB1 and DB2. The job scheduler is global to the instance, so will it not work if I have a Index rebuild scheduled (SQL Job) for DB1 at 1:00am and a Index rebuild scheduled for DB2 at 1:00am, those two jobs should not interfere with each other, correct?

• Possibly. As each operation will take up resources such as DISK I\O, CPU cycles etc etc.

You may run into resource issues when running them at the same time. It all depends on the size of the tables \ indexes and the resources you have available.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Thanks Taylor, I did realize that and should have mentioned that in my initial post.

• Technically you can run anything simulataneously as long as they are not conflicting commands (which in your example are not). But be wary as I mentioned about resources.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Another source of contention especially if you are running multiple indexing jobs could be TempDB as Both DB's will use the one TempDB.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply