SQL Agent not updating msdb..sysjobhistory

• OK - Here's the situation -

I installed this server recently, using native SQL security.

When I went to install sp3, it would never successfully connect to the local (and only instance of) sql server, until I thought to try integrated windows security.

The agent cannot connect to the server at all unless I use "windows security", so I have it configured thus.

But although the agent runs jobs OK, it fails to write to sysjobhistory. It always sits there waiting for a time-out after completing the last step of the job, and then leaves these three entries in the error log:

1. [298] SQLServer Error: 6, Specified SQL server not found. [SQLSTATE 08001]

2. [298] SQLServer Error: 11001, ConnectionOpen (Connect()). [SQLSTATE 01000]

3. [382] Logon to server 'DC-MSSQL01' failed (ConnAttemptCachableOp)

Now, here's the real problem - when I look at the SQL Server Agent Properties dialog, the Job system tab has "limit size of job history log" unchecked, ther are 0 rows in sysjobhistiry, and, in the Connection tab, the Localhost server dropdown is always disabled (even running on the local machine) - I think this must be related to the trouble, but I don't know how to enable that drop-down. Any ideas would be appreciated!

•  local host drop down is default and grayed in our system also and no problem.I think this might be a connection problem. which net-library u are using in server?.Also u can trace the sql server agent in properties, general tab under error log by enabling check box include execution trace message. what it showing.

Regds

RMK

• more info

I turned on some trace messages to appear in this log, and got the following after executing “test”:

2006-10-30 16:13:02 - ? [248] Saving NextRunDate/Times for all updated job schedules...

2006-10-30 16:13:02 - ? [249] 1 job schedule(s) saved

2006-10-30 16:13:28 - ? [177] Job test has been requested to run by User COLOC\x_david.russell

2006-10-30 16:15:01 - ? [184] Job completion for test is being logged to sysjobhistory**

** no entry made in sysjobhistory

Thanks!

David

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• We are getting the same three messages (with different numbers, same text) and they are showing up every 30 seconds or so since we restarted the agent on Friday.  The prior log file (.1) says that there was a startup error: another instance of SQLServerAgent is already servicing server instance.

This is possibly caused by our unique "volumn replication", (read cluster), fail-over system, and caused by us; but I still need a resolution.

Thank-you,
    David Russell

• Problem Solved!

In the SQL Server Client Network Utility on the alias tab we must create an alias for each failed-over server, as follows:

Server alias db<xx>, TCP/IP, db<yy>

For the current problem host, xx = 23 and yy = 24.  This should only need to be done once and should not get in the way when failed back to DB23.

This eliminates SQL Agent log messages which have been recorded every 30 seconds since we restarted the agent on Friday – and presumably every since the system was failed over.  Example of these messages follows:

2006-10-30 14:02:39 - ! [298] SQLServer Error: 17, SQL Server does not exist or access denied. [SQLSTATE 08001]

2006-10-30 14:02:39 - ! [298] SQLServer Error: 2, ConnectionOpen (Connect()). [SQLSTATE 01000]

2006-10-30 14:02:39 - ! [382] Logon to server 'DB23' failed (ConnAttemptCachableOp)

The prior error log also contained the following message:

2006-10-27 10:32:31 - ! [257] Startup error: Another instance of SQLServerAgent is already servicing server instanc

Execution speed is back to where expected (test is immediate, where it was taking 2 to 3 minutes), status and last run dates are updated, and the history is available.

Thank-you,
    David Russell

• Hi, new here but had same issue.

My solution was triggered by the post above.

My customer had aliases setup to point to itself in a sense.

The system looked to be upgraded from SQL 7.0 to 2000

Here is how it looked.

old machine name -> new machine name

new machine name -> old machine name, 1433

Anyway, removed the aliases and the job history was now posting.

• Excellent solution. I was diagnosing this problem for two days. I happened upon this post, and sure enough, for some reason the IP address was wrong. Corrected it and fixed the problem. Thanks.

• :w00t:

I had a similiar problem but in SQL Server 2005 x64. I checked the alias of the server that was pointing to itself and reliased that no port number present. After specifying the port number, all job activity started writing to sysjobhistory again

• this posting resolved my issue as well.

issue: unable to log into SQL Svr Mgmt Studio using local sql server using server name, but am able to using IP or FQDN

SQL Server Agent error: [382] Login to server failed (ConnAttemptCachableOp)

SQL Jobs would not run

Thank you so much for posting!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply