SQL Agent Proxy Account

• On a SQL Server 2000 Standard (SP3) system we periodically have to reset the proxy account for SQL Agent (sometimes daily). After we use Reset Proxy Account everything is fine, but soon the problem comes back. Does anybody have any idea how or why the setting could be getting trashed? Thanks.

Brian

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• Is there an error associated with it? If so what is the error?

- Rob

- Rob

• The only message I have noticed is on the client, which occurs because the setting goes away. The message is:

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

xpsql.cpp: Error 1385 from LogonUserW on line 620

Resetting the proxy account for SQL Agent makes the symptom go away.

Thanks,

Brian

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• Make sure the user's name/account is granted "Access this computer from

network".

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q249918

Check out this article, if this doesn't fix it let me know.

- Rob

Edited by - Rob Walters on 03/12/2003 4:22:02 PM

- Rob

• Rob,

Thank you very much for the KB article suggestion, but it does not seem to be relevant to the problem. The article is about mapping drives to shares, while our problem is sporadic loss of a SQL Server setting. Perhaps there is some connection because both issues are in the realm of security or permissions, but the possible connection eludes me.

Thanks again,

Brian

• Here's some additional background...

The application is browser based, so the only connection that runs the affected code is made from the web server. The affected code works most of the time, then suddenly quits working. To get it working again, we have to (re)enter the password for the proxy account at the server.

The problem has dramatically worsened this week. Perhaps just by coincidence, we had two new servers (SQL Server 2000 Standard SP3) added to the network this week. Those servers are not fully deployed yet and neither one has a proxy account set up.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by - Wingenious on 03/12/2003 11:50:49 PM

• More additional background...

This problem actually affects two different servers, seemingly simultaneously. That almost seems to indicate that something external to both servers could be causing the setting (the SQL Agent proxy account password) to change. The only thing that comes to mind along those lines is the two addtional new servers that do not have a SQL Agent proxy account set up. Could there be some communication between the servers that somehow affects this setting?

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm concerned about the stability of SQL Server if settings just inexplicably disappear and cause working code to break on a daily basis. Repeating the problem, the SQL Agent proxy account password is getting changed by some unknown process. This causes existing code to break. All we have to do to fix the problem is (re)enter the password. However, this is not an acceptable situation.

Thanks,

Brian

• Somebody must have a thought or suggestion on this issue!

Perhaps I have done a poor job explaining the problem and nobody knows what I'm talking about. If so, please say something and I will try to do it better.

Thanks,

Brian

• I don't know how password cound be changed in this case but would suggest to enable security audit to this account to trace when and who uses this account.

Why do you think this account's password changed? Was it locked at the time you had to reset it in SQL Agent?

Review machine security log from eventviewer.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 03/17/2003 7:51:44 PM

• Thank you very much for your comments!

I will do the auditing that you suggest. It may very well yield some helpful information.

There are several things that make me think the password is getting changed. One, the nature of the error message quoted above. The limited information I have found says this indicates a security problem. Two, the solution (at least the temporary solution) is to simply reset the password in Enterprise Manager (Reset Proxy Account) at the server. Three, the account was locked out on one occasion. We usually discover and fix the problem before repeated login failures cause the account to be locked out.

Clarification: The password on the Windows account is not being changed. The password that SQL Server remembers for the account is being changed.

Thanks again,

Brian

Edited by - Wingenious on 03/18/2003 09:26:12 AM

• I agree with Grasshopper statement, the windows account's password remains the same, the password that SQL server remembers for the account is incorrect. I started having this issue all of the sudden while one of the admnistrators had to reset the password on this account. Since then this problem started.

• Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

We are experiencing similar problems since changing the password for security reasons. We are running 2000 sp4

• Check this thread...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=110&messageid=14962

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply