SQL Backup Fails.

• yep, i used SSCM.

• I had the same issue------

BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device '\\Logshipping\20120612061511.trn' failed to open. Operating system error 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).

But I don't see any problem in the logshipping process. I recently changed the backup location of log shipping databases from primary to secondary to free up some space.

• anon1m0us1 (6/12/2012)

I stopped service, changed the ID to local, restarted service. Stopped the service and changed back to the service ID.

Please be aware that starting SQL Server using local system will allow SQL Server to build the SPN record. When you change back to the service account, if that service account does not have privileges to update the SPN record you will end up with a bad SPN record.

That will cause errors like 'Cannot Generate SSPI Context' when trying to login using windows authentication. It could also prevent linked server access if you need Kerberos authentication (double-hop scenarios).

My guess is it worked because of stopping/starting SQL Server - and not because of the switching between local and domain accounts.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I was not aware of that Jeffrey so thanks for the information I will look into it but thinking out loud doesn't setting up SPN's require domain admin rights in active directory so i'm interested to know how the local system account does this. Also if I was to use features that use kerberos such as linked servers i'd manually setup the SPN's using setspn -a anyway.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply