SQL Backups versus TSM TDP SQL (Tivoly Storage Manager)

• Hi Everyone,

I have a big dilemma I have to decide between a Traditional SQL Backups and Restores and the TSM TDP SQL Backups and Restores. (Tivoly Store Manager - TDP)

Do you have any recommendation, or pros and cons for one way or the other.

I was proposing to do the sql backups and having TSM to pick the bak files but the network guy is proposing the following:

Consider that each backup would be a separate file and the incremental backup would occupy an enormous amount of space, As opposed to having the SQL TDP agent manage the incremental data and sql logs for point in time restore.

Thanks (I will appreciate your help)

APA

• I'd ask for a demonstration of a point in time restore. If it can restore to 3:57PM yesterday, accurately, without a corrupt database, go with it. I've seen SAN snapshot backups work very well instead of traditional backups. I've also seen these things crash and burn. The test is not backing up the databases. The tests is restoring them and to a point in time. If they can't go to a point in time, I'd go with traditional backups.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks, very valid suggestion!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply