SQL & C++

• Guys:

Not sure if this thread can go here. However, below is my concern and let me know if someone can give pointers to it....

I was in a thought process of hopping out of DBA and do some real hard core coding. I' was told that C++ is the basis of any programmming lang and there are tons who can write sp's, funtions, triggers, views and so on....

Now, my concern is, what really is the attachment of C++ to SQL and do u guys really think its worth a money going for C++ language to lay a strong foundation?

Get busy living ....or get busy dying....

• C++ is one of the most efficient object orientated languages microsoft offer, however it's also proboably the most difficult of the languages MS offer, which means that developers have to be so much more skilled and experienced to avoid bugs.

C++ managed code is also a complete nightmare and has no certification track (at time of last looking)

I beleive the general idea is that c# is the way forward rather than c++, although Microsoft C++ offerings are based on the Ansi standareds for C/C++ , so skills in C++ can be transferred to other c++ compilers on unix/linux etc....

with SQL 2005 objects can indeed be written in any of the .Net languages, however whether they should or not is another matter. These objects are created as "assemblies" and attached to our database a "bit" like the old extended stored procedures

as a general rule of thumb - if you update or select batches of data (set based operations) then stick with T-SQL - if you need something that works with a single row and does multiple calculations a c# assembly (or CLR component) might be better

as an example - we wouldn't use an assembly to select the top 50 bets paid employees, but we would create one to convert decimal odds to fractional odds.

MVDBA

• if you are interested in C++ then check out a college text book

you can download Visual Studio 2005 Express for free from msdn. it includes C++, C# and other languages. and they have free videos to teach you the basics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply