SQL Certifications

• Ahh... Something I have been dreading, but I think it is time. I would like to begin researching certifications for myself, but want to know everyone's opinions on them. i.e. What cert is good for me? Where best to train? Is it worth taking classes, or should I just train with books and software?

For those of you who don't know much about me... My job description says Database Administrator, but like many I am also involved in SQL development and report writing. Is there 1 cert for both areas, or is everything separate. Also, is 1 more "job worthy" than another? For example, I can show experience in development work, but have a certification in administration. Or vice versa...

I guess 1 more question is "should I begin learning 2012 or just wait and focus on 2008 R2?"

Any and all help appreciated!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Please check "certification path roadmaps" on link next: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Ok, I guess I could have figured that out on my own 🙂 What about other recommendations? i.e. Wait for 2012, or just upgrade to it later? e-learning, book, or classroom? Is it "worth" going up the path, or just getting 1 cert?

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Certify in 2008 (well the exams have been updated to include 2008r2) and then upgrade to 2012 later.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLKnowItAll (1/19/2012)

Ok, I guess I could have figured that out on my own 🙂 What about other recommendations? i.e. Wait for 2012, or just upgrade to it later? e-learning, book, or classroom? Is it "worth" going up the path, or just getting 1 cert?

2012 or upgrade later if you are ready, go for it.

e-learing, book, classroom (or on-your-own) depends on how much money and time you have available as well as in your particular preferences and personality.

one certification or a path depends on how much you enjoy your first experience as well as in external requirements. I worked in a large consulting firm that at some point required certifications for marketing purposes.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • There's no single answer to this question. Take the certifications that you feel will have value in your current position or future plans. Pick the learning type that works for you (we all study differently) and you can afford.

Note that the certifications for a version usually lag the release of that version by a few months.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • All good insight. As everything goes... It depends 🙂 Ok, let me get more specific since the Microsoft site is just giving me error pages and "no longer available." It seems that the books are the cheapest way to go, and I learn well from that medium... However, I cannot really find GOOD information on their site. So, can I buy these books used or do I have to register that I bought it? Let's say I was a know-it-all and just wanted to sign up for an exam and take it (I certainly am not, I just want to understand the full process), could that be done or do I somehow have to prove that I have bought the book or some other form of training, done the learning, etc. Kind of like you can't just walk in and take the BAR, you have to prove you have taken classes and have a degree.

Sorry, I keep clicking around the MS site and getting nowhere and frustrated!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Microsoft really doesn't care how you acquired your knowledge, you have to prove nothing - register for the test, take it, pass it, be happy forever after... better saying until the next release 😀

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (1/19/2012)

Microsoft really doesn't care how you acquired your knowledge, you have to prove nothing - register for the test, take it, pass it, be happy forever after... better saying until the next release 😀

Ok, great! TO THE BOOKSTORE!!! Or amazon.com...

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Just to make sure I am reading the path right... I would be training for 70-432 if I have no previous MS certs and am doing the administration path?

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

So, can I buy these books used or do I have to register that I bought it? Let's say I was a know-it-all and just wanted to sign up for an exam and take it (I certainly am not, I just want to understand the full process), could that be done or do I somehow have to prove that I have bought the book or some other form of training, done the learning, etc.

I wrote 4 of the SQL 2008 exams without having opened a book or even entered a classroom.

This MS site is working fine: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Just to make sure I am reading the path right... I would be training for 70-432 if I have no previous MS certs and am doing the administration path?

Yes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yes, 70-432 is a prerequisite for MCITP (DBA).

[Extra Info: 70-433 is a per-requisite for MCITP (Developer) ]

Hope it helps,

_UB

SqlTimes

• GilaMonster (1/19/2012)

SQLKnowItAll (1/19/2012)

So, can I buy these books used or do I have to register that I bought it? Let's say I was a know-it-all and just wanted to sign up for an exam and take it (I certainly am not, I just want to understand the full process), could that be done or do I somehow have to prove that I have bought the book or some other form of training, done the learning, etc.

I wrote 4 of the SQL 2008 exams without having opened a book or even entered a classroom.

This MS site is working fine: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx

Thanks Gail! The MS stuff I am complaining about is drill downs into the e-learning and some of the links they have on their training materials that lead to error pages. I finally figured out where to go and where not to go.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• SQLRNNR (1/19/2012)

SQLKnowItAll (1/19/2012)

Just to make sure I am reading the path right... I would be training for 70-432 if I have no previous MS certs and am doing the administration path?

Yes.

Thanks!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply