SQL CLR error

• I have SQL CLR project with following method.

Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlTrigger(Name:="AuditCommon", Event:="FOR UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE")

Public Shared Sub AuditCommon()

I am getting error as mentioned below.

Error The method "AuditCommon" in class "AuditCommon.Triggers" marked as a trigger is missing a target and/or event specification. AuditCommon

Could anyone please help me

• ritesh.saluja (12/10/2008)

I have SQL CLR project with following method.

Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlTrigger(Name:="AuditCommon", Event:="FOR UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE")

Public Shared Sub AuditCommon()

I am getting error as mentioned below.

Error The method "AuditCommon" in class "AuditCommon.Triggers" marked as a trigger is missing a target and/or event specification. AuditCommon

Could anyone please help me

As the error states, you are missing the Target: specification in the Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlTrigger Attribute. You can't use CLR to violate the requirement that a trigger exists on one and only one table. You are still going to have to write a separate trigger for every table, just as you would in TSQL, and for audit purposes, TSQL will outperform SQLCLR consistently.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• You can find an example trigger in the Books Online:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/938d9dz2(VS.80).aspx

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• thanks for reply. I am looking at someone else's code. And seen the code comment.

' This is the original template for Trigger metadata. Note that it is table-specific (i.e. it suggests

' that the trigger should apply to one table only).

' Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlTrigger(Name:="Trigger1", Target:="Table1", Event:="FOR UPDATE") _

' This is our actual declaration. Note that it does not specify any particular table. We don't know

' if it is Microsoft's intention to allow table-agnostic trigger code, but this works and we hope

' that it keeps working.

So does it mean that code will work on some specific version of VS.Net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply