SQL Cluster, passive node losing public interface intermittently

• Hello,

We have a 2 node active/passive SQL cluster setup and recently have been having really strange intermittent problems with the public side interface on t

he passive node.

Around 4-5 times a day the passive node will complain with a warning that it

lost communication with the public interface of the active node followed by

a few more warnings about the public side interface going down. 

The active node shows these occurrances in it's event log as losing public network connectivity to the passive node.

I don't think this is an issue with the network card or cabling.  I was logg

ed on the passive node during one of its public side interface outages and it was still able to ping the active node by name and the virtual SQL server

but it was not able to ping the cluster name.  All 3 are pointing to the same public side interface on the active node.

Any advice on what is causing these problems and the solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• Hi Matt, I had the same problem and it was caused by the switch (3com). We proved that the switch was the problem by replacing the switch with a hub. So we changed the 3com switch with a Cisco switch and problem solved. It was active/passive dual node on Dell hardware. If you have 2 public NICs on each node, try to arp the node IP, see if the active NIC response.

Regards, Vincent

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply