SQL Connection question

• We have 2 web servers that connect to a back-end SQL server running SQL2k5. We have had a problem that pops us occasionally that we finally found a work around to, but I wish I understood the cause of the problem.

The applications use SQL authentication, but we also have Windows authentication enabled.

On each web server we can connect with telnet x.x.10.41 1433.

On each web server I can install SQL Server Management Studio & connect.

The problem is that the web pages on one server occasionally fail to connect. Both servers are identical - same web site, behind a load balancer.

In the past we've found that rebooting the server with the connection issue resolves the problem, but it tends to pop-up again. One of our developers add the ',1433' to the connection string after the IP address, and now all is well.

I though perhaps the problem was related to a dll used for the connection, but my developers assured me this wasn't the case - the connection is actually made by a COM+ object. This object is retrieving the connection information from the Registry, where the IP address with the ',1433' is located. I was able to confirm both servers have the same COM+ object - same date & size.

Any information that can help me understand the cause this is welcome.

Thanks in advance

• Maybe something to do with dynamic port and SQL Browser Service?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic448004-146-1.aspx#bm448007

Is there a firewall between you web and sql server?

• There is a firewall.

Access to the SQL server is restricted. The destination port is 1433, there is no restriction to the origination port, but there is to the origination IP address.

That doesn't explain why it worked some of time & not other times.

I still think it's an issue in the COM+ object, possibly using an older connection module, but I don't know how to prove it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply