I want to write a query that checks who is available for each

appointment based on them being available for over 50% of the

appointment.

For example, if i have the following appointments from

14:00-16:00, 9:00-17:30 and 20:00-06:00, and different people

available from 8:00-20:00, 12:00-18:00, 10:00-14:00, 12:00-16:00 (but

unavailable from 08:00-12:00), 17:00-23:00, All Day, and another All

Day but unavailable from 16:00-23:59, how do i work out which people

are available for my appointments for over 50% of the appointments.

Non-availability supersedes availability.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• What do you have so far in terms of the query? You may want to consider a temporary table where to slice the proposed meeting time in let's say one minute chunks then just assign already booded time and count free chunks for availability.

Please, do not construct this as my endorsement of the solution. Never seen a system designed to overbook resources on purpose before 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Dan Williams-449672 (11/8/2011)

Can anyone help with the following?

I have a table that stores appointments and another that stores

peoples availability.

People can specify dates and times they are available and when they're

not available.

I want to write a query that checks who is available for each

appointment based on them being available for over 50% of the

appointment.

For example, if i have the following appointments from

14:00-16:00, 9:00-17:30 and 20:00-06:00, and different people

available from 8:00-20:00, 12:00-18:00, 10:00-14:00, 12:00-16:00 (but

unavailable from 08:00-12:00), 17:00-23:00, All Day, and another All

Day but unavailable from 16:00-23:59, how do i work out which people

are available for my appointments for over 50% of the appointments.

Non-availability supersedes availability.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

so much of it depends on the actual layout of the table.

do you have a start datedatetime and an enddatetime , and is it one appointment per row?

it seems to me that you could do the datediff in minutes for each appointment, and sum them together...

then divide by the total time per day, right? 14400 minutes in a 24 hour day, but is your biz, say 9:00 to 5:00?

you show us the actual table CREATE TABLE definition, as well as a couple of rows of sample data, and we'll be able to whip up an example.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (11/8/2011)

Never seen a system designed to overbook resources on purpose before

Don't airlines do this routinely on the basis that some people will cancel at the last minute or simply not show up?

• SQL Kiwi (11/8/2011)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (11/8/2011)

Never seen a system designed to overbook resources on purpose before

Don't airlines do this routinely on the basis that some people will cancel at the last minute or simply not show up?

Not in the sense of over-booking partial flight legs like this system does - nope. 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (11/8/2011)

Not in the sense of over-booking partial flight legs like this system does

Fair enough. Booking part of a flight is an intriguing idea though - parachutes supplied?

• my appointments table contains smalldatetimes for start and end datetimes. one appointment per row

appointment

-------------

id

startdatetime

enddatetime

peopleavailability

----------------

id

startdatetime

enddatetime

availtype (Available,Sick,On holiday, etc)

I have a calendar table that contains dates and a times table that contains hours and minutes.

So far i have created a table function to return minute records between 2 datetimes, then was trying to do a join on the respective tables, but it's not particularly quick

here's my function

CREATEFUNCTION [dbo].[fnTimes] (@dateFrom smalldatetime, @dateTo smalldatetime)

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN (

select dt + Times.Time as [DateTime]

from calendar

cross join Times

where dt >= cast(@datefrom as date) and dt <= @dateto and

dt+times.time >= @datefrom and dt+times.time <= @dateto

)

Then to return the minutes for an appointment, i run the following query

SELECT avail.[Datetime]

FROM Appointment a

CROSS apply fntimes(a.startdatetime, a.enddatetime)) AS [Avail]

so for an appointment for today from 12:00 - 12:05, the query returns

08/11/2011 12:00

08/11/2011 12:02

08/11/2011 12:03

08/11/2011 12:04

08/11/2011 12:05

now i was trying to do the same for the people availability table and inner join against the above, but the performance is very slow as i may have several people with lots of availabilty.

any ideas or am i heading down the wrong road?

• i missed out 12:01 and that there's a PersonId in my peopleavailability/resources table

• Dan Williams-449672 (11/8/2011)

any ideas or am i heading down the wrong road?

You're definitely headed down the wrong road, but without easily consumable sample data and expected results, you're unlikely to get much help.

Check out Jeff Moden's article Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• ok thanks for the reply. I'll draft something up and post it asap.

• ok here you go

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Appointments](

[Id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Start] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL,

[End] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Appointments] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[Id] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Availability](

[Id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[PersonId] [int] NOT NULL,

[AvailFrom] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL,

[AvailTo] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL,

[AvailType] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Availability] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[Id] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

INSERT INTO Appointments (Start, [End])

SELECT 'Nov 16 2011 2:00PM','Nov 16 2011 4:00PM' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Nov 16 2011 9:00AM','Nov 16 2011 5:30PM' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Nov 16 2011 8:00PM','Nov 17 2011 6:00AM'

GO

insert into Availability (PersonId, AvailFrom, AvailTo, AvailType)

SELECT '1','Nov 16 2011 8:00AM','Nov 16 2011 8:00PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '2','Nov 16 2011 12:00PM','Nov 16 2011 6:00PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '3','Nov 16 2011 10:00AM','Nov 16 2011 2:00PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '4','Nov 16 2011 12:00PM','Nov 16 2011 4:00PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '4','Nov 16 2011 8:00AM','Nov 16 2011 12:00PM','Unavailable' UNION ALL

SELECT '5','Nov 16 2011 5:00PM','Nov 16 2011 11:00PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '6','Nov 16 2011 12:00AM','Nov 16 2011 11:59PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '7','Nov 16 2011 12:00AM','Nov 16 2011 11:59PM','Available' UNION ALL

SELECT '7','Nov 16 2011 4:00PM','Nov 16 2011 11:59PM','Unavailable'

GO

Now i need to find out which PersonId's are available for over 50% of each of my appointments.

• SQL Kiwi (11/8/2011)

Fair enough. Booking part of a flight is an intriguing idea though - parachutes supplied?

:w00t: shhhhhhh... don't put that kind of ideas on their brains Paul.

• SQL Kiwi (11/8/2011)

That assumes the half you're traveling ends before the landing. What if you want to overbook someone for the second half? REALLY powerful pogo sticks?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• ... and just TRY getting a parachute through security at a U.S. airport.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Finding overlap is easy.

If the AvailableTo is later than the AppointmentStart, and the AvailableFrom is earlier than the AppointmentEnd, then they have an overlap. That's a simple join condition.

What you'd need to do is determine what "half" means in this case (mainly in terms of accuracy). If minutes is close enough, then calculate the datediff in minutes of the overlap, and the datediff in minutes of the appointment, and see if it's greater-than-or-equal to.

The overlap time is the lesser of the difference between the AppointmentStart and the AvailabilityEnd, vs the difference between AvailabilityStart and AppointmentEnd.

E.g.: Appointment is 1:30 to 4:30 (3 hours = 180 minutes, half = 90 minutes), availability is 1:00 to 2:00. Overlap is Apt Start to Avail End, = 30 minutes, is not a valid match. Another person has availability from 1:00 to 5:00, overlap is 1:30 to 4:30, which is 180, valid match. Another person has availability from 2:00 to 4:00, overlap is Apt Start to Avail End minus Apt Start to Avail Start = 1:30 to 4:00 = 150 minutes = valid match.

Think you can write the join math for that one or do you need help on that?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply