SQL Database comparison

• I have the following query:

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE YourProcedure AS

insert into msbtotal.dbo.newclients

SELECT tcms_members.dbo.memberdata.* FROM tcms_members.dbo.memberdata left outer join

msbtotal.dbo.memberdata on tcms_members.dbo.memberdata.id =

msbtotal.dbo.memberdata.id where msbtotal.dbo.memberdata.id is

null

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

and if I remove the "insert" statement, this query works fine, as soon as I add the insert statement back, I receive the following error:

Server: Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Procedure newcustomers, Line 4

Invalid object name 'msbtotal.dbo.members'.

I am running my query as admin on the server and do not have a procedure called newcustomers.

Can anyone suggest a reason why I'm getting this error?

Thank you

Doug

• Does the table 'msbtotal.dbo.members' exist?

The SQL logic requires the table and will likely throw that error if the table does not exist.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• That table does in fact exist. Again, if I run the select query without the insert statement, it runs just fine. It's only when I include the "insert" part of the query, that I get this error back.

• doug 40899 (9/22/2010)

That table does in fact exist. Again, if I run the select query without the insert statement, it runs just fine. It's only when I include the "insert" part of the query, that I get this error back.

oops. My mistake; I was looking at the wrong table.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Is msbtotal.dbo.newclients a view that references the members table?

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin,

I have no idea ... how would I go about checking that?

• The most likely suspect is a trigger on the table you're inserting into.

• Spencer,

How can I find a trigger? I built the table "newclients" specifically for this task. It was pretty much a "default" set up (except for the table and column names of course)

• Don't you have a DBA you could ask?

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin,

For all intents and purposes, I am the DBA. We run a small network here and we really don't have a DBA so I have to not only maintain the network but wear the dba hat as well.

• Alvin,

This was fixed by creating a new table called Newclients2 and having data inserted into that table. For whatever reason, when I tried doing this with the newclient table, this wouldnt work. I have since corrected the problem. My one question though is everytime I run the insert, into the newclient2 table, if duplicate data is already there, it will not check for that. Can you offer a suggestion to check the new client database as well to make sure that I'm not replicating data there too.

Thank you

Doug

• doug 40899 (9/22/2010)

Alvin,

This was fixed by creating a new table called Newclients2 and having data inserted into that table. For whatever reason, when I tried doing this with the newclient table, this wouldnt work. I have since corrected the problem. My one question though is everytime I run the insert, into the newclient2 table, if duplicate data is already there, it will not check for that. Can you offer a suggestion to check the new client database as well to make sure that I'm not replicating data there too.

Thank you

Doug

You're not going to like my suggestion. Hire someone who knows what he or she is doing, before you end up with a mess you cannot handle.

Would you take a long trip with a driver that doesn't know how to drive? Then why run a business that uses SQL Server without having someone on board that knows what they're doing?

Alvin Ramard

• doug 40899 (9/22/2010)

Alvin,

Thank you

Doug

The duplicate should be able to be avoided through the use of a good primary key.

As for the trigger, you should be able to expand the table and see an option for triggers. It is there that you would find a trigger if it existed.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hold on.

We don't know if the problem was caused by a trigger, a view, or anything else.

We also don't know what problems might be caused by using a new table.

Please, be careful before offering suggestions based on assumptions.

What Jason just posted will help look for a trigger, but we don't know if that is the problem.

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (9/22/2010)

Hold on.

We don't know if the problem was caused by a trigger, a view, or anything else.

We also don't know what problems might be caused by using a new table.

Please, be careful before offering suggestions based on assumptions.

What Jason just posted will help look for a trigger, but we don't know if that is the problem.

Agreed

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply