SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience)

• Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

Grant Fritchey (8/5/2014)

You get a phone call. The person on the phone says the database is slow. What do you do?

Migrate from Oracle to SQL Server? Do I get the job now?

+1000

Would you give that advice to my company? 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

You get a phone call. The person on the phone says the database is slow. What do you do?

+1000

So if you don't mind me asking, how are you getting on with ORA stuff then Luis?

😎

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

Certainly. How much are they willing to pay for a consulting arrangement?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

So if you don't mind me asking, how are you getting on with ORA stuff then Luis?

😎

I'm not sure if it's Oracle, Toad or company's policies which annoy me. I haven't had the the opportunity to try many things, I'm waiting for some changes in the organization to have more opportunities to learn instead of doing boring stuff.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

😎

I'm not sure if it's Oracle, Toad or company's policies which annoy me. I haven't had the the opportunity to try many things, I'm waiting for some changes in the organization to have more opportunities to learn instead of doing boring stuff.

Do I remember correctly, there is/was a migration from SQL Server to Oracle going on in your company? Think you did mention this a while back (excuse my bad gray cells, few bad sectors there) . Done this few times and must say, not the most enjoyable projects I've worked on. Don't get me wrong here, I like many things about Oracle but once you've had MS Sql it is hard to switch to the other. Somewhat more like if you are used to Windows or Mac graphic interface and having to switch to an old Unix or AS/400 terminal. But the hardest thing is to manage the developers/end users expectations.

😎

• GilaMonster (8/5/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

The going price is around 10% of the additional licence cost compared to the full accumulated functionality of the equivalent SQL Server version, per day of work:w00t: One normally leaves out the hardware unless it's a tough one.

😎

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

😎

Do I remember correctly, there is/was a migration from SQL Server to Oracle going on in your company? Think you did mention this a while back (excuse my bad gray cells, few bad sectors there) . Done this few times and must say, not the most enjoyable projects I've worked on. Don't get me wrong here, I like many things about Oracle but once you've had MS Sql it is hard to switch to the other. Somewhat more like if you are used to Windows or Mac graphic interface and having to switch to an old Unix or AS/400 terminal. But the hardest thing is to manage the developers/end users expectations.

😎

Not exactly, I'm the one moving from a pure SQL Server area to a mixed environment that might give me headaches because I have to play with both environments to end with an SSAS cube. I'll probably have to work with Informatica PowerCenter just when I'm starting to like SSIS.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• GilaMonster (8/5/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/5/2014)

+1000

My guess is: not enough to bring someone from Africa or Europe and hiring a translator.:pinch:

They've hired a consultant from MS but I'm not sure that they've followed the recommendations made. I'm trying to make some improvements whenever I can.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

Guess one has to differentiate between five years of work and five years worth of experience. Questions like "what are the DAC limitations", "consequence of an idle connection holding a lock on a 'popular' resource" or "what are the Resource Governor configuration gotchas?" would make my list. Mind you the answers wouldn't have to be perfect for a 'fiver':-D

😎

DAC limitations? Not sure. Resource Governor? I know what it is and roughly how it's configured, but I haven't used it. Can I still get the job?

A big part of this comes down to what you're exposed to. I have well over 20 years experience within SQL Server, and, most of it, is real cumulative experience (as opposed to one year of experience multiplied 20 times). But there are giant gaps in my knowledge even so.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (8/5/2014)

Guess one has to differentiate between five years of work and five years worth of experience. Questions like "what are the DAC limitations", "consequence of an idle connection holding a lock on a 'popular' resource" or "what are the Resource Governor configuration gotchas?" would make my list. Mind you the answers wouldn't have to be perfect for a 'fiver':-D

😎

DAC limitations? Not sure. Resource Governor? I know what it is and roughly how it's configured, but I haven't used it. Can I still get the job?

A big part of this comes down to what you're exposed to. I have well over 20 years experience within SQL Server, and, most of it, is real cumulative experience (as opposed to one year of experience multiplied 20 times). But there are giant gaps in my knowledge even so.

Naming one/any DAC limitation would probably do for a fiver, not knowing there are any or then again what DAC is would send them back and erase the agency's number. Resource Governor, that I admit, depends more on the environment but still I think there should be some knowledge and some recognition of keywords.

Don't worry Grant, you would still get the job;-), the point being that there are no simple questions to ask but it's a process of an assessment.

😎

😎

Naming one/any DAC limitation would probably do for a fiver, not knowing there are any or then again what DAC is would send them back and erase the agency's number. Resource Governor, that I admit, depends more on the environment but still I think there should be some knowledge and some recognition of keywords.

Don't worry Grant, you would still get the job;-), the point being that there are no simple questions to ask but it's a process of an assessment.

😎

I've never heard of DAC and reading the article on BOL, I'm not sure I get it completely. Seems interesting.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

😎

😎

I've never heard of DAC and reading the article on BOL, I'm not sure I get it completely. Seems interesting.

In german there is a saying which fits the purpose of DAC, "es ist zu spät wenn die Scheiße auf der staffel kamen", at that point, DAC is the only option.

😎

Luis Cazares (8/5/2014)

😎

😎

In german there is a saying which fits the purpose of DAC, "es ist zu spät wenn die Scheiße auf der staffel kamen", at that point, DAC is the only option.

😎

That's funny in Mexico there's a different saying: "Ahogado el niño, a tapar el pozo" which is similar to "Shut the stable door after the horse has bolted". :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

I would like to know SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience) what kind of questions they will ASK …………………. Just for curiosity

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

You're the newly hired Sr. DBA for a company. There are no other DBAs. The previous DBA quit a month ago.

Explain in great detail what your first "real" day (normally, the 2nd actual day. The first actual day is usually wasted on paper work and seeing if you can handle a specimen cup without getting your hands wet, etc) will consist of.

On the 3rd "real" day, a database becomes corrupt. What actions will you take?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

rajeshn29.dba (8/5/2014)

Hi Friends,

I would like to know SQL DBA high ended question (5+ years’ experience) what kind of questions they will ASK …………………. Just for curiosity

Thanks a lot :

Rajesh

You're the newly hired Sr. DBA for a company. There are no other DBAs. The previous DBA quit a month ago.

Explain in great detail what your first "real" day (normally, the 2nd actual day. The first actual day is usually wasted on paper work and seeing if you can handle a specimen cup without getting your hands wet, etc) will consist of.

On the 3rd "real" day, a database becomes corrupt. What actions will you take?

Another version: On the 3rd "real" day, you are told that a database "may be" corrupt. You look into it and find that it has been so for months....

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply