SQL DBA tools

• Dear All,

Pls dont mind if i posted in the wrong section but since this section is DBA , and the question is related to DBA field.

Anyway in short , i am new to this SQL field although i have passed recently MCDBA.my question is that in lot of jobs they ask as a DBA :

1)What tools do i know.What do they mean by that.Do i need to know more tools than Microsoft provides ?

2)any tools to write automation scripts ?are their any more tools.?Pls let me know if their are any easy and good tools for writing automation scripts.and specially used in the common market.

thanks

• Suppose they mean

1) engeneering/reverse engeneering tools - ErStudio, Enterprise Architec

2) Monitoring tools - Spotlight, CA, HP monitoring tool

3) Utilities like Lumigent log explorer

4) Useful DBA tools such as TOAD

• For a DBA you dont need to know any tools for administration. Tools reduce ur work load so its ur choice to go for Tools or use SQL Server features.

• HI heavymind1 and Ratheesh,

thanks for your comments.

Well agreed on comments but since i am not a programmer , so i must know as a DBA , either how to do scipting or use some kind of tools for automating scripts.

I dont know what my interviewer was asking about those automating scripting tools.Have any idea?

• There are a few reasons an interviewer might ask these kinds of questions.

They might have a tool that is an integral part of their process. If they deploy code changes using a source code control system and you have experience with that system, that’s a plus for both of you.

A DBA has a lot of routine monitoring and maintenance tasks that are important but time consuming if done manually. If you have experience with monitoring tools or scripting you can do your routine tasks more efficiently and be more productive.

It can also be a good indicator to see if you are motivated to learn things on your own. If you took the initiative to learn a scripting language like Powershell or perl that shows that you have more than a passing interest in the job you are interviewing for.

• There are plenty of tools that can be useful to a database administrator, even if you're not also a T-SQL dev, or whatever else. Redgate has an ad at the top of this site (because they own the site), click on that and you'll see a few that might interest you.

Some are Response, Backup, Script and Doc. All potentially very useful to an admin.

In the sense of fair competition, ApexSQL (www.apexsql.com) has a large number of tools that do pretty much the same thing. You might want to take a look at some of their products as well.

Lumigent has some high end tools that are very powerful for DBAs.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks a lot to all for their valuable comments.

H.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply