Sql Dev Pro

• Does anyone know if Sql Dev Pro was updated for use with Sql Server 2005?  If not does anyone know of a tool that provides the same functionality as Sql Dev Pro and can be used with Sql Server 2005?

• Considering that the website has been dead for quite some time, probably not.

I've never used SQL Dev Pro, so you would have to tell me what it does before I could suggest an alternative.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• I use sql dev pro to move database objects (mostly sprocs) from our development server to our qa server and finally on to production.  You basically feed the tool a list of db ojects, it scripts them out and compares them to the objects on your destination server.  If the objects are different, it leverages the VSS diff tool so that you can visually detect and review changes made to code.  After review you can use the tool to compile the objects on the destination server.  It makes promoting db code very quick an painless. 

I also can use it to quickly find an script out objects rather than picking them out with EM or SSMS. 

I have used other tools like Red Gate's Sql Compare, but it and the other tools like it, lack the ability to specify the exact objects you want to compare before actually doing the compare.  For example say there is a need to promote 5 sprocs from dev to stage.  With Sql Compare you would have to wait for the entire db to be scripted and compared.  Then search through all the possible difference that are displayed to find and select just the ones we want to promote.  If the only difference between the two servers were the 5 sproc then this would work fine.  But with many different development teams all using a central development server there can be lots of difference.  We have databases with over 1000 sprocs so as you can imagine this is pretty painful to do the pick and select.

Any suggestions you might have would be welcome.

• In my opinion, it is a bad idea to let a tool move things into production for you. Every place I have ever worked as DBA, the developers were required to have everything scripted out including all objects, data, etc.

The scripts are tested against the QA/Test environment and once they are ready, they are then run against production.

That would be my suggestion.

I've used a couple of different SQL Compare tools (Redgate, Quest) and had no problems with being able to tell it which objects to compare first.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply