SQL Easting Memory

• Hi

I have a number of servers running MS SQL 2000 and PHP 4.3.2. The sites that they have been running have slowly become more popular and has resulted in SQL eating into the memory. However, after being hammered all day, it does not return any of the dynamically allocated memory?

Basically, it has got to the point where the boxes need to be rebooted as SQL has eaten 720+ meg out of a possible 1000.

I do not really want to use a fixed memory size, as I feel it will severely effect the performance of the sites when at peak periods.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I am a bit new to SQL and I have just got to grips with the basics, so please forgive me if my problems seems trivial.

• Sql Server should slowly release the memory. We have had an issue with this same situation running under Windows 2003 OS in a clustered environment. For this and other reasons, we went back to Windows 2000 OS.

This was runnning SQL Server 2000.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

• SQL 2K seems not too bad to manage memory. Nost of the time, the memory was eaten up by

1. un-closed cursor (use profiler to identify)

2. jdbc driver (you need apply latest jdbc SP).

3. connection pooling (if you use Webshpere). Check Websphere config.

4. using xp_OA* sp also seems somtime cause problem

5. un-release COM or COM+ objects on SQL server

Is any of them happen to you ?

• An excerpt from a webchat transcript:

MS_Stephen_D:

Q: gaurav_bindlish: Still I am asking if there is some tool to release the memory immediately.

A: No, SQL Server is designed to release memory when the OS asks for it, as a result of memory pressure. There are no tools to free memory immediately.

The rest of the transcript can be found here:  http://www.sswug.org/see/14651

Adam

• One more thing I forgot to mention.

Make sure connection are properly closed. I found a lot of ASP developers do not close the connection and release the memory correctly. This problem can eaily identified by checking connection count on sysprocess table.

• Cheers

I will do some investigating

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply