SQL error 2501: help

• I run a scheduled intergrity check job on our production database (SQL 7.0 sp3a, Win2K sp4) and got an error message in job histry:

Could not find table named '(Object ID 258647932)'. Check sysobjects. [SQLSTATE 42S02] (Error 2501) DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 2528). The step failed.

if I run DBCC CHECKDB ('mydb') again, still failed but with different Object ID.

If I run same command on Web reporting server which use production server's backup file to restore and have same database name, DBCC CHECKDB ('mydb') is successful.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with error message, if I run a query on 'mydb': select * from sysobjects where ID=258647932, came out nothing.

• Can you check your report server to see which object has ID 258647932? Maybe it was corrupted in your production server.

Edited by - allen_cui on 08/27/2003 08:57:02 AM

• just ran a select * from sysobjects where ID=258647932 on 'mydb' Web reporting server, came out nothing

• Put database in single user mode and run dbcc checkdb to see whether you still have the problem.

Quoted from BOL.

"Error 2501

Severity Level 16

Message Text

Could not find table named '%.*ls'. Check sysobjects.

Explanation

Usually some form of corruption in the database causes this error. This often happens when a table is being dropped and a serious error occurs that causes the drop to fail.

Action

Executing DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKCATALOG can indicate other problems in the database. Restore your database from backup or contact your primary support provider for assistance.

You may also be able to use the bcp utility to copy out other tables. But because this problem is often caused by other problems in the database, problems can occur when you copy out other tables."

• Since this server is our SMS central site server, I don't know what impact will be if I select a single user mode, can other SMS services be able to access the sms_sitecode database? don't know how long will take for switching and switching back.

• Putting database in single user mode will restrict database access from application/users. You could find out how long dbcc takes from your job history and schedule downtime to perform the dbcc.

• Thanks, Allen, for all your help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply