SQL Join

• I have a right join query where i have a table where all employees attendence entry are registered and another table where pay master table.

I need a query where i get all employee names from right side (pay master table) and the employees in out timings for all employees who punched or not punched their card.

My query

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Calender_Date AS Expr2, Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code AS Expr3, Pay_Emp_Master.Dept_Code AS Expr4,

Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_First_Name, MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Name AS Expr5, MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Dept_Code AS Dept

FROM MHD_MONTH_SHEET RIGHT OUTER JOIN

Pay_Emp_Master ON MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code = Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code AND MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code <> Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code

It gives NULL values to all my pay master table values

• I do not know if I understand correctly but try:

SELECT

MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Calender_Date AS Expr2,

Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code AS Expr3,

Pay_Emp_Master.Dept_Code AS Expr4,

Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_First_Name,

MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Name AS Expr5,

MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Dept_Code AS Dept

FROM MHD_MONTH_SHEET

LEFT OUTER JOIN Pay_Emp_Master

ON MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code = Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code

If you do not work as you want, I think it's better you post an example with a sample of data in tables and their expected result.

Hope this helps.

• Your join condition will never evaluate TRUE and that's why you're always getting NULLs.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • syed_3177 (6/14/2015)

I have a right join query where i have a table where all employees attendence entry are registered and another table where pay master table.

I need a query where i get all employee names from right side (pay master table) and the employees in out timings for all employees who punched or not punched their card.

My query

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Calender_Date AS Expr2, Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code AS Expr3, Pay_Emp_Master.Dept_Code AS Expr4,

Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_First_Name, MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Name AS Expr5, MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Dept_Code AS Dept

Pay_Emp_Master ON MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code = Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code AND MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code <> Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code

As previously indicated, the reason for the NULL values is that your JOIN condition specifies that the two Emp_Code fields have to be both equal as well as unequal in order for the join to occur. Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive. There's a functional equivalent to your query using LEFT OUTER JOIN, and a previous poster provided one. Finally, you really should name your fields something other than Expr1, Expr2, etc... Here's an updated query for your perusal. Let us know what works for you.

SELECT MS.Calender_Date,

PM.Emp_Code,

PM.Dept_Code,

PM.Emp_First_Name,

MS.Emp_Name AS MS_Emp_Name,

MS.Dept_Code AS Dept

FROM Pay_Emp_Master AS PM

LEFT OUTER JOIN MHD_MONTH_SHEET AS MS

ON PM.Emp_Code = MS.Emp_Code

P.S. I took out the TOP (100) PERCENT because you don't appear to need it - you don't have an ORDER BY clause.

• sgmunson (6/15/2015)Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive.

I've actually wondered about this. I know this is true of left-to-right languages like English, but RIGHT joins might be more intuitive for speakers of languages that are written right-to-left like Hebrew or Arabic. Since, I'm not a native speaker of any of these languages, I don't have any insight into whether this is true.

Of course, since SQL is based on English, the fact that English is written left-to-right might override the influence of languages written right-to-left.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (6/15/2015)

sgmunson (6/15/2015)Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive.

I've actually wondered about this. I know this is true of left-to-right languages like English, but RIGHT joins might be more intuitive for speakers of languages that are written right-to-left like Hebrew or Arabic. Since, I'm not a native speaker of any of these languages, I don't have any insight into whether this is true.

Of course, since SQL is based on English, the fact that English is written left-to-right might override the influence of languages written right-to-left.

Drew

I guess I didn't even think about alternate language reading order, but I'm still going to suggest that giving credence to the RIGHT joins is still probably a bad idea, as it will just confuse the daylights out of most folks. And yes, with SQL being written in English, presenting the tables in LEFT to RIGHT order is going to make it a LOT EASIER to read, and more importantly, to understand.

• sgmunson (6/15/2015)

drew.allen (6/15/2015)

sgmunson (6/15/2015)Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive.

Drew

I guess I didn't even think about alternate language reading order, but I'm still going to suggest that giving credence to the RIGHT joins is still probably a bad idea, as it will just confuse the daylights out of most folks. And yes, with SQL being written in English, presenting the tables in LEFT to RIGHT order is going to make it a LOT EASIER to read, and more importantly, to understand.

I don't know about this. I personally have never had a difficult time understanding RIGHT joins and think there are places where they make more sense. I use FULL joins a lot too which confuses people but is the most elegant solution given the requirement. I'm not going to chose a less elegant solution because some developers will be confused, I will just add better comments and make myself available for questions.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (6/15/2015)

sgmunson (6/15/2015)

drew.allen (6/15/2015)

Drew

I don't know about this. I personally have never had a difficult time understanding RIGHT joins and think there are places where they make more sense. I use FULL joins a lot too which confuses people but is the most elegant solution given the requirement. I'm not going to chose a less elegant solution because some developers will be confused, I will just add better comments and make myself available for questions.

Part of why I say that is because I'm often a consultant that has to develop a solution pronto and there is no time to document nor to explain the reasoning. As there is always a way to represent a RIGHT JOIN with an equivalent LEFT JOIN, and avoiding anything that might even appear to be "rocket science" is too valuable when one is not going to be around for questions because your contract will end, the value of simplicity is too high to ignore.

• sgmunson (6/15/2015)

syed_3177 (6/14/2015)

I have a right join query where i have a table where all employees attendence entry are registered and another table where pay master table.

My query

As previously indicated, the reason for the NULL values is that your JOIN condition specifies that the two Emp_Code fields have to be both equal as well as unequal in order for the join to occur. Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive.

I agree that putting AND MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code <> Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code in the join condition is pure nonsense and should be eliminated (as should the meaningless TOP (100) PERCENT).

But the reason most people don't use right joins is that some people who were too lazy to think clearly (and maybe those not too lazy, but hard-working people incapable of thinking clearly) acting together with people too lazy to learn to handle both left and right joins created the myth that right joins are not intuitive, and this pernicious nonsense has spread so successfully (like several other awful SQL myths) that the majority of people writing SQL now believe it. Personally, I have difficulty understanding how anyone can understand left joins and not understand right joins, and find it extremely hard to believe that someone who doesn't understand right joins can possibly understand full joins.

Tom

• TomThomson (6/16/2015)

sgmunson (6/15/2015)

syed_3177 (6/14/2015)

My query

As previously indicated, the reason for the NULL values is that your JOIN condition specifies that the two Emp_Code fields have to be both equal as well as unequal in order for the join to occur. Also, just as a general rule, almost no one uses RIGHT joins because it's just not intuitive.

I agree that putting AND MHD_MONTH_SHEET.Emp_Code <> Pay_Emp_Master.Emp_Code in the join condition is pure nonsense and should be eliminated (as should the meaningless TOP (100) PERCENT).

But the reason most people don't use right joins is that some people who were too lazy to think clearly (and maybe those not too lazy, but hard-working people incapable of thinking clearly) acting together with people too lazy to learn to handle both left and right joins created the myth that right joins are not intuitive, and this pernicious nonsense has spread so successfully (like several other awful SQL myths) that the majority of people writing SQL now believe it. Personally, I have difficulty understanding how anyone can understand left joins and not understand right joins, and find it extremely hard to believe that someone who doesn't understand right joins can possibly understand full joins.

Quite - assuming that the common pattern of all LEFT JOINs or all RIGHT JOINs is followed. Mix RIGHT and LEFT joins in the same query with multiple predicates and it quickly becomes very difficult to resolve.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• TomThomson (6/16/2015)

sgmunson (6/15/2015)

syed_3177 (6/14/2015)

My query

I agree that understanding a RIGHT join is no harder than understanding a LEFT one, but once you let that cat out of the bag, along comes the temptation to mix the two, and that always ends badly. There are also a number of automated systems that generate views that are particularly difficult to really understand precisely because they mix in both varieties and then insist on making join order important by putting two or more joins prior to an ON clause. Try and support such a mess, or add another join, and you can spend hours just trying to understand what it already does, never mind make changes. Having just one point of view for queries, makes it a LOT easier to deal with, and that's not laziness, it's just common sense. Just because one person with advanced skill can understand it all easily, doesn't mean the person following you will be able to do so. I get judged far more on how maintainable my code is than on how "pretty" I can make it - with having it do the job correctly and with good performance being the "most important" element.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply