SQL license tracking

• I am writing to understand, if theres any process in tracking sql server licenses installed on our server's?

Well we have couple of Data Centers which host SQL Server's. The problem is, we do not have a track of how many SQL licenses we purchased (Yes, we are not very efficient in managinig here and the offshore DBA's who work with SQL Server's, do not care to understand the licenses process.) But we want to define a process - track sql licenses (what type of licenses we have vs purchased on our servers).

I was wondering, is there a way - process to do this?

Again if this post is not related to the forum's here, please excuse me.

Appreciated any feedback.

Thanks,

Cali

• To my knowledge and i have been in your shoes there is no way you can track the kind/type of license you have within SQL. This is usually something that you have to to keep track of yourself. Microsoft dont care how you use your license and how many times you use them and they also dont police the usage of their software. They have 3rd party agency that will do that and fine you like crazy if you are out of compliance.

The best advice i can give is that you can look here in the registry...for the product key(for matching purposes)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Sql Server\80\Registration

its in the same path somewhat for all the versions altho for 2k5 its not longer tracked ..even in the registry

in here you sill see the product key and hopefully be able to match it to the version of SQL on your servers. Hope this helps and good luck.

DHeath

• Thanks for the answer. I shall look into this.

• I would suggest if you have a large number of servers you might want to approach MS on the enterprise agreement process and work with them to get a handle on it. Basically in it they count the number of servers running (type and licensing model depending on version) then you pay a few for the count and you report it once a year (usually early) and do a true up with them at that time where you pay the difference in what they show you had before and then. Might make things easier without the worry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply