sql mail and outlook 2003

• Hi folks

I know there is a bit of comment on this subject , I tried to get my head round it but could get no where. Please , please can any one help me out.

Bit of history need to recieve email alerts from SQL 2000 SP4 running on W2003.

Had the ops guys set up Outlook 2003 ( not custom ) just standard.

Tried various approaches to having Outlook running , not running etc while trying to send mail

SQLAgent error log reports : (264) An attempt was made to send email when no email session had been established.

Tested email from SQL Agent properties , and msg successfully start mapi session for this profile.

Great me thinks , moves on to test job reporting , but no error as above back in error log and no email received.

Have I missed something massive here ?

Really could do with some advice as I am struggling....

Thanks for your time everyone.

• What account are the SQL and SQL Agent services running under?  If not a domain user, then you will need to execute the xp_startmail stored procedure to start the mail session, providing the sp with user and password.  Also, are you using exchange?

• Hi , thanks for the reply.

What account are the SQL and SQL Agent services running under?

These are running both under the same domain account.

Also, are you using exchange

Not an expert on this , we are using an SMTP server.

Is that any help ?

• These MS articles should answer all your questions

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263556/EN-US/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315886&sd=tech

• Since you stated "Had the ops guys set up Outlook 2003 ( not custom ) just standard.", this is the issue.

You must use the Outlook custom installation option in order to install the CDO library that SQL Mail uses. In Outlook 2003 Custom installation, this is the item named "Collaboration Data Objects", which is not installed by default.

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply