SQL Mail and Yukon, what do you want to see...

• - Are you using SQL Mail now?

- Have you used SQL Mail in the past?

- Do you have ideas, suggestions, or wishes for a new SQL Mail solution?

If your answer is "yes", then Microsoft SQL Server Team needs your help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Microsoft SQL Server Tools team is building a new e-mail subsystem and

we need your help to make it the best. We need your feedback to ensure the

new system will meet all your needs. Please take a minute to fill out this

survey. You can launch the survey from

https://surveys.supersurvey.com/cgi-bin/surveys/s16946.pl

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Microsoft SQL Server Tools Team

• Yes, yes, yes.

1.allow HTML formatting.

2.use SMTP

3.Don't require Outlook or build in a MAPI client to the product.

4.Allow multiple email addresses to send from, authentication could be included in the send command. Nice for reporting or non-alert items.

5.Remove the "read" mail capabilty. People use it, but it's a huge security risk and not worth it. Force people to use Qing or some better messaging system.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

The Best of SQL Server Central.com 2002 - http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/bestof/

http://www.dkranch.net

• Yes, Yes, Yes

1. Should not be dependant on Outlook or MAPI components like Microsoft Exchange profile etc. Should be able to use POP3 or SMTP mail services to send mails.

2. Should allow easy sending of mails using HTML formatting.

3. Better documentation for the newbees.

Thanks

Santosh Tiwari

Santosh Tiwari
    Directions
    Mumbai - INDIA
    santosh@direct2s.com

• Yes, Yes, Yes

1. Should not be dependant on Outlook or MAPI components like Microsoft Exchange profile etc. Should be able to use POP3 or SMTP mail services to send mails.

2. should have a better interface to the used mail service, so management from within sqlserver is possible.

3. Usable in a clustered sqlserver environment !!! (without the current issue it gests stuck after a while and the SERVER needs a reboot to get it to work again)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Yes, I have used SQL Mail for years.

I am working on a project at a client's site, and they use Lotus Notes. Please either provide a way to use Notes, or just the local SMTP service on the SQL Server.

• I think users should have the option of client or service type to use. However incoming needs to have virus scanning intgrated so any product can perform. Maybe a block with allow listing to prevent spam or other items causeing interferance.

• Everyone, please make sure you fill out the survey in addition to comments posted here.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Yes, Yes, Yes

1. Fix the hanging of SQL Mail on Clusters and need to reboot if this happens, make

MAPI32.DLL cluster aware

2. Integrate mail and notifications more deeply. Allow scanning of errorlog and event viewer for error/message pickup automatically.

3. Instead of just triggering mail based on an error or a performance threshold, build in the ability to have dependencies and blackout periods. ie: If this job fails any other time besides Sat. at 3am-6am send mail, otherwise don't or If these 2 jobs fail, only then send mail, without programming.

4. Create a hook inside EM to get a history of mail sent, delivered and read via tracking. This would allow DBAs a better perspective on what mail is sent and recieved by users.

5. Integrate into SQL mail the use of Office *.oft templates. These can be used dynamically for planned downtimes, maintenance periods and

any other pre-defined activity.

• 1. SMTP with no dependency on LDAP

• Yes, Yes, Yes

1.) SMTP and/or just be able to load MAPI Dlls, not the entire OutLook client

2.) e-mail templates

3.) multiple e-mail recipients or ability to keep and store groups in SQL.

4.) Make it supported in a clustered environment.

Thanks.

• I have generally the same gripes as everyone else. The only thing I mentioned I haven't seen listed here already is that I'd like the ability to send notifications from Agent on failed job steps as opposed to only on entire job failures. I also stressed my dis-trust for any sort of Outlook/Exchange relationship and also my dislike of having to install Office apps on my database servers.

I use my own custom lightweight cdo/smtp solution for my employer. Other than providing an interface for maintaining messages, raiseerrors, and agent message recipients I don't see the need for any clunky overhead or Mail Service per se. Maybe if SQL Server provided its own SMTP server that could better throttle server resources than the SMTP service included with Windows I could understand needing a service to manage messaging - hrm, I didn't mention that one.

-Ken

• I agree, here are couple other suggestions:

1. Ability to monitor SQL Mail Status (WMI) -- Up/Down, perhaps a MOM script

2. Run SQL Mail as seperate service, currently I have to restart SQL Agent to resolve SQL Agent Mail issues

• I looked to fill out the survey, but it is no longer there.

I agree with what other have said on mail. When will they ask about the way Agent handles Jobs/Job Steps? That's what I want to see changed.

Chris

Doesn't know nuthin about nuthin, but don't tell nobody. 😉

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply