SQL Mail on 2000 Cluster (Unsupported)

• I have a SQL 2000 active/passive cluster and would like to use SQL mail for various notifications. We have Exchange 5.5 as our email server. I'm sending using xp_sendmail.

Everything works fine when I send to individual email addresses but I get undeliverable messages when trying to send to an exchange group.

xp_sendmail @recipients='groupname@company.com'

"Unable to deliver the message due to a recipient problem"

I know that this is technically unsupported by Microsoft and may just be something I have to put up with but was wondering if anyone else had got round this issue. I know the SQL side is setup correctly as I can send emails to individuals. I could get round it by sending the email to multiple individuals but using the group would be nicer.

cheers

• We used to several SQL servers and SQL clusters and at one time used to have SQL mail on each server. We were not even using Exchange, but using Novell Groupwise, so there were lot of (unsupported) gateways and transformations, to make the sql mail work. Even then, occasionally, the mail client would freeze, and the only way to make it work was restart the whole box. After a while we got tired of this, and installed a dedicated box, just for SQL mail, and all the other servers use remote xp_sendmail to send the mail using the remote server. This made our production server much stable, and if the mail client hands we just restart the SQL mail box, that would not impact the production boxes.

• I believe the way to do it is create an operator which points to the distribution lists on the Exchange server.  You would then use the name of the operator you created as the @recipients parameter in the xp_sendmail command.

ie.

-- create operator

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_add_operator @name = N'DBA_DistList', @enabled = 1, @email_address = N'ExchangeDBA_DistList', @category_name = N'[Uncategorized]', @weekday_pager_start_time = 80000, @weekday_pager_end_time = 180000, @saturday_pager_start_time = 80000, @saturday_pager_end_time = 180000, @sunday_pager_start_time = 80000, @sunday_pager_end_time = 180000, @pager_days = 62

--send to operator

xp_sendmail @recipients='DBA_DistList'

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply