SQL mail set up

• Bear with me for basic question. As I said earlier I am fairly new with SQL server.

In my company our previous dba created and NT account dedicated for sql mail. Let's say MAILME account. Now the way it's set up is , to send mail about the jobs to everyone MAILME has to be logged on to operating system. This doesn't make any sense. And none of us like that. How can I change it so that mail can be sent no matter who is signed on or atleast one of the few accounts is signed on.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• What is the version of your SQL Server and OS? What mail clients you use with SQL Mail?

• Here is the question and answer to your question from Microsoft Q315886.

Q11: Why does SQL Mail only work when I am logged into the server?

A11: This suggests that you do not have SQL Mail properly configured. Follow the setup checklist in the Check Your Configuration section of this article to verify that you have SQL Mail configured correctly. For example, a working POP3 (incoming mail) server may not have been supplied to the mail configuration.

Another possible reason is that you are using Outlook 2002 with an Internet Mail server. Outlook 2002 treats non-Exchange servers differently than Exchange servers. Because the mail spooler is run from within the Outlook process space for non-Exchange mail servers, you must have the Outlook 2002 client running in order to send Internet mail. When you log off of the server, the Outlook client shuts down and mail is no longer sent. To fix this problem, you must either use Outlook 2000 or switch to an Exchange server.

• IT's SQL 7.0 std. edition on windows NT 4.0. With Outlook 2000.

I will look into MS Q&A to see what checklist is that.

Thanks.

Hiren

• To whom is the mail profile assigned? Log with that user, configure the profile with outlook, then set the mail profile in sql server (For SQL Server Agent and SQL Mail) and then log on with any user you want

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply