SQL Mem Max size - Recommendation

• Greetings -

We have a server that has 12 GB RAM, on the server we are running a database which is over 100 GB. Currently, the mem max is set to default. Based on some recommendations, it is recommended to adjust max mem size to 10000 MB. Can you please give me your feedback to what setting I should go with, having a very large database reside the sql server.

Thanks,

Lava

• First of all, what OS are you running and is this a 32 bit or 64 bit server?

This really has a lot to say for how memory is handled. Do you have any performance stats at all for this server or a general idea how much memory it "likes" to use? I'm guessing you'll need some help figuring this out, but for starters I'd like to know your OS details and we'll take it from there. 🙂

Basically though, if you're stuck with the 12 GB, it does seem reasonable to enforce a 10 Gb max on SQL Server, leaving a couple of GB for the OS and whatever else your server might need to do. Yes, you may want to get more memory if you know for sure that your server will actually be able to use it. However, bear in mind that the DB size alone does not necessarily have a direct impact on your memory needs, as it is only when you actually work with the data that you need it to be in memory. 😉

Kind regards,

Vegard Hagen
    Norwegian DBA, occasional blogger and generally a nice guy who believes the world is big enough for all of us.
    @vegard_hagen on Twitter
    Blog: Vegards corner (No actual SQL stuff here - havent found my niche yet. Maybe some day...)

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. (Chinese proverb)
  • It is 64-bit OS running SQL 2008 R1. Looking at the performace, currently the system has available 973 MB, and 700 MB free. Being not worked on SQL for a while, I want to make sure I setup parms correctly.

• Chapter 4: http://www.simple-talk.com/books/sql-books/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-the-accidental-dba/

and

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/post/How-much-memory-does-my-SQL-Server-actually-need.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply