SQL Memory usage is high

• Hello,

One of our production SQL cluster is eating up more memory on server.

Here are the server specifications :

SQL : SQL Server 2008 SP2 standard edition ( 2 node cluster )

Memory : 16 GB ( 8 Gb to SQL and rest to OS )

CPU : 8

This server is heavily used by CLR and linked server events.

I have seen the memory usage of databases , it's not using more than 7 GB and leaving 1 GB free in sql memory area ( from our Idera SQL dm monitoring tool ). I'm suspecting CLR events are causing these spikes.

When i look at the task manager sqlserver.exe is using 15.7 Gb ( close to 16 GB )

Not sure how to see which process are using the memory.

Also we are seeing the below error messages in error log very frequently

10/27/2014 15:23:52,spid1s,Unknown,AppDomain 85 (xxxxxx) is marked for unload due to memory pressure.

I have looked at some blogs in internet, i didnt get any correct info. I have seen this is kind of bug in SQL 2005 32-bit system but we are using 64 bit system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969962

Can anyone please help me on this ?

Thanks in advance

• Not a bug. CLR uses memory outside of the limit set by max server memory. You must have some memory-intensive CLR. Chat with the devs, make sure they're not doing things like opening large recordsets or anything like that.

p.s. Don't use task manager to check SQL's memory. Perfmon or SQL DMVs. Task manager lies.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I think you should use SQL Activity monitor or profiler to get the CLR which is using more memory.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply