SQL Mgmt Studio "Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy"

• I use a domain user to Remote Desktop Connection onto my main SQL Server 2005 box. From here I open and use MSSQL Mgmt Studio 2005. 2 days ago the domain user was accidently deleted and then re-created again. Now when I RDP onto the server and SQL Mgmt Studio I get this error :

"application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by security policy"

It's also causing further issues where scheduled tasks on the server cannot be executed from my local PC using this same domain account.

The domain account is part ot the "local admin group" on the SQL server box.

Help - I go on holiday today for a week and need quick resoloution...........

• Enable auditing of policies on the box and then check the event viewer. That would at least tell you exactly what permission was denied.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Don't know if this will help, but SQL Server recognises domain logins by their Windows SIDs. When the domain user account was recreated it would have been created with a different SID from that of the original domain user account. Did you try dropping/adding the login for that account in SQL Server?

• Problem resolved !!

Not entirely sure what my main IT guy's did but it's working again now, even though yesterday they couldn't figure out hence the need for me to post.

Thanks to all that replied appreciate it.

• It would have been very helpful to find the root cause, just in case it happened again.

However, glad you sorted it out.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply