SQL migration to Active Directory

• Hello,

Recently our network guys moved to active directory and have requested that we make the necessary changes to our database servers (Win200x, SQL2000). The problem is, they changed the domain name (for example domain1 is now domain2). All of our SQL2000 servers have ownerships with domain1/xxxxxxx. My question is (1) what objects need to be reviewed and changed, and (2) what is is best way to make changes. I realized this is a broad topic. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working on the project plan. Thanks in advance.

• It's a security issue for the most part. Check logins and you might need to re-add the new groups (as new domains). IT might reach down into users, but I don't think so in SS2K.

Don't forget linked servers, SQL Agent jobs, DTS packages, basically anything with an owner.

• Do not forget service accounts for SQL Server and the SQL Agent. If you are using clustered servers then you have to add the 'clustering' service account and the MSDTC service account as well.

Additionally, make sure the Domain Admins have allowed the 'new' domain to 'trust' the 'old' domain so you can make any SQL related security modfications needed. This extra step helps prevent things from breaking. How3ver you still have to cleanup after yourself - Domain Admins included !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks for the info... much appreciated. What about database owners? When a database is created it uses the current login as the database owner. How are these modified (i.e. from domain1\user to domain2\user)? Also, are there any best practices to make the process of changing domains easier?

-- Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply