SQL Newbie

• I've been programing for the past 23 years in C, basic, Fortran, VBasic, Shell Scripts and jsut about anything else they need me to here at work, but I've never messed with any sort of db.

We just purchased Solarwinds Orion that uses MS SQL Standard as it's db to store network management data.  It uses VB Scripting to create customized scripts to access data from SQL.  I've now been asked to look at what it will take for us to start creating scripts customized for our environment.

I'm looking for thoughts from everyone as of where I should start learning how to interface VB Script or VB to the SQL database, I'm not sure where to even start.  Any books I should get?  Any specific training?

Thanks for the help

• A good basic book for both learing a bit about SQL administration as well as the basics in T-sql is for example "Tech yourself SQL Server 2000 in 21 days" by Sams.

From your solid programming-background i guess that you will find programming in SQL fairly easy. Just get the grip about relation data, and you are good to go.

robbac
    ___the truth is out there___

• Thanks for the quick reply.

• I'm very new to programming in general, especially db stuff. I've used the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Bible by Paul Nielsen from Wiley Press. It's very thorough. The book covers all the relevant topics: relational design, T-SQL, stored procedures, triggers, administration, security, auditing and on and on. There are also sections on using ADO and ADO.NET and on XML and Web publishing. So, it might be a good fit for what you're looking for. ISBN: 0764549359

http://www.sqlserverbible.com

I just think the book is awesome!

• The Murach series of books are great, and their SQL for SQL Server book specifically addresses the T-SQL that every db developer should know (and more). Great way to get up to speed fast.

• Thanks for all the replies everyone... all very good info.  I'll see what I can pick up.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply