SQL Package Configurations - password field

• Hi all,

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out the intricices of package configurations. I have a package set up which i wish to set one of the connection managers connection string properties via a configuration file. This package is also to be executed from a c# application.

The problem i'm having is that the package doesn't appear to pull through the connection string properties. I have ammemded the table in the SQL database that stores the configuration string so that it contains the password but still it doesn't use it. The package seems to be using a default connection string (possibly the string that the manager uses in the development environment???)

Can anyone suggest why this isn't working or how i can go about resolving it?

I'm fairly new to integration services and would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Many thanks,

Grant

• You mention a configuration file and a configuration table, do you have multiple configurations?  You can set the same property in multiple configurations, whichever one is applied last when the package is loaded wins.

Are you saving only the complete connection string as a variable?  The ProtectionLevel property may be keeping it from saving/reading the password (just a guess).  I usually save the Password property and other properties specifically as separate variables.

When you go to change the password in the config file/table, is the previous password value there in plain text?  If it is missing or encrypted then editing the config probably won't work, you must go into the package designer to change the properties and re-save the configuration.

• What I've gotten to work is setting the package security to Don't Save Sensitive. This combined with Enabling Configurations.

• I tried doing the same but no luck. I tried putting the password in the config and it still won't connect. I have tried "DontSaveSensitive".

It works connecting manually.

Please advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply