SQL Pivot

• Hi All,

I am trying to pivot in SQL. I want dates as the two pivoted columns. The code runs fine when I give static values in the IN clause inside the pivot operator and the pivoted columns (eg: [2011-07-09]).

When I try to assign variables(@pivDate1 and use them in place of the static values, it fails.

DECLARE @pivDate1 DATETIME = (SELECT TOP 1 PulledDate FROM #FinalOutput fo ORDER BY 1 ASC)

DECLARE @pivDate2 DATETIME = (SELECT TOP 1 PulledDate FROM #FinalOutput fo ORDER BY 1 DESC)

SELECT Category , [@pivDate1], [@pivDate2]

FROM

(SELECT Category,TotalNumber,PulledDate AS PulledDate FROM #FinalOutput) AS SourceTable

PIVOT

(

SUM(TotalNumber)

FOR PulledDate IN ([@pivDate1],[@pivDate2])

-- This works([2011-07-09],[2011-07-02])

) AS PivotTable ;

Error I get

Error converting data type nvarchar to datetime

The incorrect value @pivDate1 is supplied in the PIVOT operator.

The column PulledDate has been declared with Data type Datetime in #FinalOutput table.

--[2011-07-09],[2011-07-02] works fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• I would suggest you build your query as a string, and execute it as dynamic sql.

Heading out now, but I may post an example later tonight.

• Thanks Nevyn.

I found this helpful link.

http://www.simple-talk.com/community/blogs/andras/archive/2007/09/14/37265.aspx

• @suri.yalamanchili, please consider using a Dynamic Cross Tab query instead of building a query with the PIVOT operator:

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs[/url]

The article above is Part 2 of a 2-part set. Please read Part 1 to see the details of why there is a performance advantage when using Cross Tab queries.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns[/url]

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Hi Suri,

have a look to this link to get idea to create a dynamic pivot query.

http://beyondrelational.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2008/08/27/dynamic-pivot-in-sql-server-2005.aspx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply