SQL query help please

• Hi,

im trying to do a group by in this data warehousing for my star schema but i cant seem to do it properly

SELECT dbo.DimAge.Age, dbo.DimFnlwgt.fnlwgt, dbo.DimRace.Race, dbo.DimWorkClass.WorkClass, dbo.DimSex.Sex,

dbo.DimHoursPerWeek.Hours_per_week, dbo.DimCountry.Country, dbo.DimEducation.Education_num, dbo.DimOccupation.Occupation,

dbo.DimTaxDetails.Capital_gain

FROM dbo.DimAge CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimCountry CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimEducation CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimFnlwgt CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimHoursPerWeek CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimOccupation CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimRace CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimSex CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimTaxDetails CROSS JOIN

dbo.DimWorkClass

GROUP BY DimCountry.Age, DimFnlwgt.fnlwgt, DimRace.Race, DimWorkClass.WorkClass, DimTaxDetails.Sex, DimHoursPerWeek.Hours_per_week,

DimCountry.Country, DimEducation.Education_num, DimRace.Occupation, DimTaxDetails.Capital_gain

but its not working can anyone help out please?

• where... where is the WHERE clause? 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • i thought u dont need to the WHERE clause because its using the joining methods already??

• I guess Paul is asking where is the problem?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• what is the error you are getting? "its not working" seems a bit vague.

-- Cory

• You're referencing different tables in your SELECT and GROUP BY clause:

SELECT

dbo.DimAge.Age,

dbo.DimSex.Sex,

dbo.DimOccupation.Occupation

GROUP BY

DimCountry.Age,

DimTaxDetails.Sex,

DimRace.Occupation

Since we're talking about a cross join across 10 tables: I truly hope your tables will just hold a lower single digit number of rows each... Otherwise it's going to be a rather huge table to select from... :pinch:

I strongly recommend to think about those joins if it's really what you're looking for...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• More details are definitely needed on the whole "not working out" statement.

Given your statement about JOINS taking care of the recordset and not needing a WHERE clause makes me think you A) don't understand JOINS very well and B) have no idea what a CROSS JOIN does to your result set. I suggest you look up JOIN in Books Online and read very carefully.

For the record, the only JOIN statement that even partially filters the total record set would be an INNER JOIN and even that's not a guarantee of cutting down your records depending on how your data is set up.

Repeat after me: Cross Joins are EVIL. Cross Joins are EVIL. I will never use another Cross Join again because they are EVIL.

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply