SQL query listener?

• Hi,

I need a kind of listner that give me all the SQL statement recieved

by my sql server independently of the client sending the request: DotNet application,

SqlApplication(query analyser) ...

This utility should be able to listen on the pipe of the connection between the the client and the server and

not on one of the two sides.

Can anyone advice me about the a way or a product?

Thanks and Regards,

• Sounds like you need a network sniffer. There are a whole host of them. the Sniffer (tm) product I know recognizes some of the TDS packets correctly, or at least the last time I used one for a trace it did. But that was a few years ago. You'll also need some assistance from your network folks on that one. However if you have someone who is somewhat adept at reading network traces, Ethereal is open-source and awesome. Sniffer (tm) is expensive. Most folks use Ethereal because it does just about everything most folks want. Be warned, using sniffers without prior permission is often a firing offense. Make sure you get permission first.

If you want to stay on a strictly SQL Server road, look at SQL Profiler (in the SQL Server client tools). It probably does what you need. SQL Profiler can be sure to capture all the events that occur on the server, but it is using the server side.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Really I would just use SQL Profiler. You'll find it under the Tools menu in SQL Enterprise Manager.

It hooks into SQL Server and collects all the actions that are sent to it. You can select how much data you want to record, and even what types of events (from just the sql statements executed, to everything compiled, to all the steps executed inside of a stored procedure, connections / disconnections, etc).

You can set it to save the output to disk, with rolling logs, a start and end time, and a lot more. It's a great way to be able to see the real usage of a server, and to be able to track those nasty commands people are not supposed to be using!

You just need to be a sysadmin to use Profiler. And you can run it on the server or any client that has profiler installed.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply