sql query - sql 2000

• quick assistance, i need to write a query to show a list of names of people who have terminated for the AD administrator.

we have lastname firstnames ie smith(lastname) george adams (first names)

I need to separate the firstnames into two columns if they have two names.

ie select lastname, firstnames termination date from employees where termination date >=......

there is one space consistently between the two names.

so far i have this

select *

from (

select lastname,

case when substring(firstname,' ') > 0 then substring(firstname,1, substring(firstname,' ')-1) else firstname end firstname_1,

case when substring(firstname,' ') > 0 then substring(firstname, substring(firstname,' ')+1) else null end firstname_2,

termination_date >= 2009-01-01

from employees

not got the substring right.

where termination_date >= '01-may-2008'

• Hello,

I suspect you want to be using CharIndex to find the location of the Space and then SubString to extract the Firstnames.

So may be something along the lines of:-

Select

lastname,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstname) > 0 Then substring(firstname,1, CharIndex(' ', firstname)-1) else firstname end firstname_1,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstname) > 0 then Right(firstname, CharIndex(' ', firstname)+1) else null end firstname_2

From

employees

Where

termination_date >= '01-may-2008'

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• the results i am getting on the first couple of sample results

lastname firstname_1 firstname_2

Davie Michael ael James

Eyears Barry NULL

Murrie Amelia ia Grace

can we get rid of the first 3 on firstname_2

and how

almost there

• Hey there is a slight modification in the previous code

just apply this code

Select

lastname,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstname) > 0 Then substring(firstname,1, CharIndex(' ', firstname)-1) else firstname end firstname_1,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstname) > 0 then Right(firstname, CharIndex(' ', firstname)-1) else null end firstname_2

From

employees

Where

termination_date >= '01-may-2008'

here the right function since counts from last you have to again decrease the count by 1

• Hello again,

Did you manage to get the query working Okay, or are you still having problems?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• not quite

running the last query you gave me, had to modify column names for our database

Select

lastname,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstnames) > 0 Then substring(firstnames,1, CharIndex(' ', firstnames)-1) else firstnames end firstnames_1,

case when CharIndex(' ', firstnames) > 0 then Right(firstnames, CharIndex(' ', firstnames)-1) else null end firstnames_2,

terminationdate

From

employee

Where

terminationdate >= '2009-05-01 00:00:00.000'

still getting the spaces and last letter from firstname attached is a sample.

I have checked the application and they are only putting one space between.

the column firstname is varchar 30 characters.

look forward to further assistance and grateful for your help

• Hello,

You could try replacing the Right Function with the following:-

substring(firstname, CharIndex(' ', firstname)+1, 200)

Note that this code assumes a first name is never longer than 200 characters.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• You could try this, which would eliminate the CASE. There are probably some instances that would break it, but for cases where there is never a space in the first position of first name, and there is only one space between the two names, I think it will work ok. In fact, as I'm typing now, I can think of a co-workers name that would break it. His first name is 'De Andre'. I don't know how you could get around this kind of name. Anyhow, let us know if it works for you.

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#names','u') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #names

CREATE TABLE #names

(

ID INT IDENTITY(1,1),

LAST_NAME VARCHAR(30),

FIRST_NAME VARCHAR(30)

)

INSERT INTO #names

SELECT 'Doe','John Jacob' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Smith','Joseph M' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Roberts','David'

SELECT

last_name,

first_name1 = SUBSTRING(first_name,1,CHARINDEX(' ',CAST(first_name AS CHAR(30)),1)),

first_name2 = ISNULL(SUBSTRING(first_name,CHARINDEX(' ',CAST(first_name AS CHAR(30)),1)+1,30),'')

FROM #names

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• thanks for that, i have been out of the office the last week so have not tried this, but its probably the best way to handle this.

i am sure the odd name will go astray, and i am not in control with how the payroll staff enter these names.

thanks again and I will get back to you with a result.

trout

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply