SQL replication

• Just a simple question - is there a way to organize sql replication on win98 workstation?! Any advice will be very appreciated. Please contact myob@softhome.net

• Ok, I have a Win2k server running Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Enterprise edition and I have a couple of workstation running win2000 professional and win98. I need to replicate data from server to the workstation and back. What SQL should be installed on the workstations (that supports replications)?

• All editions of SQL Server support replication, even MSDE, which is free since you already have a full SQL Server license. But...to use MSDE 1.0 (same as SQL Server 7), the publishing server has to be in per seat licensing mode. If this is a problem, then you'll need the Standard edition on the workstations (Standard will install on Win98).

MSDE 2.0 (or SQL Server Desktop) doesn't have this problem, but I don't know how or if it works with a SQL Server 7 publisher. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that.

Jay

Jay Madren

• Ok. Let's say I have SQL 2000 Server on Win2K Advanced server, will Standart Edition replicate on Win98???

quote:

All editions of SQL Server support replication, even MSDE, which is free since you already have a full SQL Server license. But...to use MSDE 1.0 (same as SQL Server 7), the publishing server has to be in per seat licensing mode. If this is a problem, then you'll need the Standard edition on the workstations (Standard will install on Win98).

MSDE 2.0 (or SQL Server Desktop) doesn't have this problem, but I don't know how or if it works with a SQL Server 7 publisher. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that.

Jay

• BOL states that the only editions of SQL Server 2000 than can run on Win98 are Personal and Desktop (MSDE 2.0).

The only editions of SQL Server 7.0 that can run on Win98 are Standard and MSDE (1.0).

Jay

Jay Madren

• What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Can you describe why each needs it's own local SQL? Laptop or desktop?

• quote:

Ok. Let's say I have SQL 2000 Server on Win2K Advanced server, will Standard Edition replicate on Win98?

Yes it will. There's no problem with a setup like that. You could also use MSDE 2.0 (which is in fact based on SQL 2K) on your subscribers (reduces licence cost if you already own a SQL 2K server).

Just make sure that you use at least Service Pack 2 on both Publisher/Distributor and Subscribers.

Best regards,

Chris.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply