SQL Reporting Tools

• Dear All,

Anyone can shares their experiences with using SQL Reporting Tools? thanks

• Are you talking about Microsoft Reporting Services?

Kindest Regards,

• There is a reporting services call "SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services".

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.asp

Is this call Microsoft Reporting Services as well?

Sorry, i'm totaly new to SQL Server. Thanks.

• I am using Reporting Services.  It's not bad.  It has some limitations as it a "version 1" from Microsoft and cannot directly hold up to Crystal Reports.

However, I like that it is free to use (with a SQL Server license) where Crystal can become quite expensive with it's licensing scheme.

• Ms Sql Reporting Services

Not perfect, but with work can usually accomplish what you want. Still fairly new, so not fully developed yet. I expect it to improve as new releases come out. Biggest problem is printing. You have absolutely no control over the printer. In other words, you can set the report up for landscape, but unless you manually change the printer at print time, it will not print in landscape. Or at least I have not found a way to do it. The other problem with printing is it may look great in HTML but when you go to print, there will be blank pages dispersed throughout. This is simply due to a margins problem. Adjusting the margins usually fixes that. 

Overall, not a bad product if you want to have reports via the web. Cost is right also, since it comes with Sql server and does not cost anymore like other report writers for the web.

• Just a note.  We also have the problems with printing from the HTML output so unless it is absolutely necessary to output a report in HTML (with the report viewer), for things such as drill-through, we run our reports directly to PDF.  We do this from a calling ASP.NET program.  The formatting is better and when you print, you get exactly what you see.

You still have to work with margins and page sizes but it works really well.

To do this, simply call the path of the report and add "&rs:format=PDF" (without the quotes) to the end of the URL.

----------------------------------------------------------

01010011010100010100110000100000010100110110010101110010011101100110010101110010

• Reporting Services is in its initial stages and it will improve on some features as new versions release.

My biggest gripe with Reporting Services is the Security Model. Until someone explains the Security Model properley to me then I'll understand. Reporting Services BOL does not explain it very well!

Kindest Regards,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply