SQl Restore issue

• I have same a database in production & devv which have the same name. I wanted to restore a copy of teh database from production to dev server which I am getting an error saying that its not the latest backup of the database.

I had tried many ways to have it restored but, I doidnt have any solution ..

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Swetha K

• Are you trying to restore a full backup, or a log backup?

What's the exact message you are getting, and the command you are running to restore it?

The Redneck DBA

• I took a full backup of prod database, tried to restore using wizard and the error message is :

The database was backed up on a server running version 10.50.1600. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 10.00.1600. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server.

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3169)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=3169&LinkId=20476

Both the servers are in different domains and different OS too.

I tried copy database wizard,SSIS,I get errored out using every method..

Want to know if there is any easy way to transfer data.

Appreciate your quick response.

Thanks,

Swetha K

• OS differences shouldn't matter.

But it looks like you're trying to restore a backup from a SQL2008 R2 (10.50.1600) server to a SQL2008 (10.00.1600) server which I'm pretty sure you can't do.

Not sure there is an "easy" way, but I'm sure you can use SSIS or just manually script everything if you really need it to be copied.

But I would strongly advise that you get your dev and production environments running the same version of SQL if at all possible.

The Redneck DBA

• I tried to do SSIS but, had errors because of the indexes.

but I am eorking arround those issues.

Thank you all your replies.

Swetha K

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply