SQL Server 200 and 2005

• I need to run SQL Sever Enterprise Manager on my pc to be able to work on our production server but I also want to run the free SQL Sever on my pc. I think that's SQL Sever 2005 CTP. I can't seem to get both to work at the same time. Can anyone help?

• Actually I think my SQL Server 2005 CTP is a 1 year trial--the free one is SQL Express. Doesn't it come with XP Pro? Where can I get it and how can I get it an Enterprise Manager both working on my PC.

• You can get Enterprise Manager from the SQL Server 2000 CD. Install the client tools. There's a 2nd disk in there that contains the Personal Edition, which you get iwth a free license if you run the server.

• I uninstalled all the SQL stuff on the PC. I then installed Enterprise Manager (figured out how to do that) from the msdn SQL Server 2000 disk I have. I then downloaded SQL Server Express 2005 from the internet and installed it. I also installed SQL Server Management Studio Express.

I can see the production system with Enterprise Manager so I think that is working ok. Using SQL Server Management Studio Express I can see SQL Server Express 2005 running on my pc.

When try to create a new database (mdf file) while creating a web site in Visual Studio 2005 professional it tells me: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to funtion properly.

Any ideas why VS2005 wouldn't be seeing SQL Express?

• Hope you did it but, if not, you must uninstall all CTP components before installing SQL Express.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply