Sql Server 2000 64bit Client Tools

• I just got a Windows Vista 64bit laptop and I'm having trouble installing SQL Server 2000 Client.

When I go to install the 32bit version it tells me that the version is not compatible. When I try to get around that, it tells me that there is known issues with this version. I haven't bypassed that yet.

Is it ok to install the 32bit client on a 64bit machine?

Just for the record, I don't have a copy of SQL Server 2000 64bit. I need to install the client on this machine to manage my 2000 32bit servers.

I am going to dual-boot the machine with xp pro, but I just got the laptop today and wanted to install everything on both boot drives.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Do you have access to the SQL Server 2005 tools in 64-Bit format? That would be the way to go. Aside from that, wasn't SQL Server 2000 only released in 64-Bit for Itanium but I may be sorely mistaken.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Your problem could be related to SQL Server 2000 64bits is Itanium and not x64 so you may have to install SQL Server 2005 x64 client tools and manage SQL Server 2000 64bits without issues because the 2000 Enterprise manager was left in x86 most management related tools was in x86 because of the Itanium only problem.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Well crap then. I will just have to live with managing my 2000 instances with 2005. 2005 is just so painfully slow over any less than a 10mps connection. If I dail in remotely 2005 just drags. I have switched to just 'vnc'ing into the desktop and managing 2005 from there.

Thanks again for the help.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• You can still dual boot and install XP pro x86 and install SQL Server 2000 developer x86 and just register the Itanium 64 2000 version. I think that may make a difference with the connection issues.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I don't have a 2000 x64 server.

I have a x64 laptop that I want to manage a 2000 32bit installation with.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Can I just go ahead and install the 2000 32bit client on my x64 machine? Will it work?

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• I don't have a 2000 x64 server.

I have a x64 laptop that I want to manage a 2000 32bit installation with.

My bad I had assumed you are trying to install x86 client tools to manage Itanium 64 server because that is all that exists.

Can I just go ahead and install the 2000 32bit client on my x64 machine? Will it work?

I think you have two problems Vista does not take SQL Server 2000 and even the SQL Server 2005 x86 binaries you need binaries created to install in x64 before you can install in Vista. That is the reason the developer division created x86 SQL Server Express binaries for x64 installation. I think you could just dual boot to XP.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply