SQL SERVER 2000 Backup

• I am trying to backup a database thro' enterprise manager and the msg I am getting is 'SQL Server Agent on target server (local) is stopped. Make sure it is running during the scheduled execution of this job.'I tried logging into Query Analyzer and I am able to - so the server is up and running. I am not sure what I am missing. Please help.Thank you,
  • Hello Sheba,

It seems the SQL Server Agent Service is not started on the server from where you are trying to take a backup using Enterprise Manager. You check up by clicking on the server in the Enterprise Manager -> Management -> SQL Server Agent.

If the icon is in green then the Agent is started otherwise, you need to Right Mouse click and then select "Start".

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Lucky

• Thank you Lucky for your prompt reply. I have now started the SQL Server agent - however, when i schedule for it to backup, it just does not do anything..Under Management, I right click on Backup and select backup a database and select complete database backup and select disk with a new file name as destination for the backup and schedule the time with a one time option and when I click OK, it just exits the dialog box without backing up..Why would that be - can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?Thanks again,
  • 1. Is sql server agent is started?

2. go to Enterprise Manager--> Jobs

1) Is the job enabled?

2) Is the job schedule enabled? 

3) Do you see the date&time (your schedule) for "Next Run Date" column?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply