SQL server 2000 datadisk migration to SAN problem.

• Hi out there,

Last week we migrated a SQLserver2000 server's datadisk to a lun on the SAN. Everything went ok and we thought we could sit down and relax.......

Today I had to alter one of the jobs ( which migrated as well ) but I was prompted an error messsage on every action I tried.

The Error massage;

ERROR 14274: Cannot add, update or delete a job (or its steps or schedules) that originated from an MSX server. The job was not saved.

This indicates that this server has been set as a MSX client but looking for details on this they are not to be found. The properties on this indicates that this 'so called client' has NO master.

All new jobs I created (adjusted or deleted) gave no problem at all. This indicates that the jobs which have been migrated to SAN are 'disconnected' to its original setup somehow.

Who recognizes this problem???

or

Do you have any suggestions solving this problem

Please contact me asap on this because this is just the first servers in a long row (approx. 200) which have to be migrated to SAN.

Regards, Guus Kramer

The Netherlands

• Steve,

Reading the two related articles I could not agree on the mentioned symtoms (I thought).

The "Kill that target server" article mentioned the server has been moved and the Microsoft PRB error texts is telling this could happen if the servername has been changed.

Both cases are not related to our problem, we migrated to SAN.

But on checking the msdb sysjob table I was very supprised to see a different name as the actual servername.

By thinking back I remembered that this server is been through a Hardware upgrade (a complete server replacement) and doing this we needed the old server as well. At this point our problem began. Because we could not have two SQL servers with the same name ( and IP address ) we renamed the newest one and rebuild the complete server and imported all SQL server data stuff (backup and recovery). After this has been done we RENAMED it annd after testing it we physicaly removed the oldest server from our network. offcource we used the sp_dropserver 'oldname' /sp_addserver 'newname', local but this did not work for some reason.

Inheritating this unknown error we migrated to SAN we thought this was a SAN migration problem.

I'm glad this is just a simple problem and describing it in our migration manuals we probably will not encounter this again.

Before closing this issue I wonder if there are some good documents (best practices) on how to migrate from SQLserver2000 to SAN. Searching the Internet I can not found any document which guides you though some different scenarios (and mention problems you can find on your path).

Hope this Thread will help others ......

Guus Kramer

The Netherlands

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply