SQL Server 2000 Installation

• Hi all,

I have just finished playing around with the 180 days evaluation of sql server 2000. I am now setting up my own server running sbs 2003 premium.

As part of the installation CD is comes with SQL server 2000 enterprise.

When installing the SQL server 2000, is there a right or wrong way to install it.

The evaluation version was simply installed on a local PC, and i just use all default settings.

With the sbs 2003 server installation would the same apply.

If there is anyone out there who can guide me or provide and pointer to installing SQL server 2000 without any problems when it comes to use and developent.

Thanks to all in advance

• How to install and configure SQL Server is dependent on usage and hardware:

1. How many CPUs?

2. How much memory?

3. How are the disk drives configured including RAID, physical drives and partitions?

4. Is the computer dedicated to SQL Server?

5. Will you being using full text search?

6. Is the server clustered ?

7. Are the partitions NTFS or Raw?

8. Is Performance or Flexibity more important?

9. How many user databases will exist?

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Hi Carl,

Although I don't have the funding to setup a full blow server, I'm setting up a temporery server as follow:-

Pentium 4 3.2GHz

1gig ram

120 sata hdisk + 40gig ide h/disk

small business server 2003 premium o/s

My intentions are to setup this server up for use within the office environment, used for file sharing, internat access, email server and data stored as well as development work.

At present i'm not looking at performance, and currently i'm looking at 2 sql database with more to come.

With regards to clustering, not addressed this as I don't know it impact yet - still new to this area.

I hope this helps

• is the new sql server 2005 an option  ?

• Hi,

I think with sbs 2003 premium, its sql server 2000

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply