SQL Server 2000 Merge Replication & DB Maintenance Plan

• I am working on a contract job and currently they have environment where merge replication is setup.  They have been having issues with performance in general not just with replication and the first thing I noticed was they did not have a db maintenance plan setup.  With setting up the DB Maintenance plan on a db that is being replicated to and from (since it is merge) will the maintenance plan cause any conflics with the merge replication running simultaneously?

• Jon,

It was obvious sometimes you wont see any Maintainance Plans. Have you checked the SQL Agent Jobs relates to any Optimizing, Integrity?  In some areas they create their own jobs for Maintainance.  Even at some places you wont see any Maintainance Plans for OLAP as they do manually as of they need.

For Performance, you will have to check with Windows Performance Monitor using specific Counters (or) executing trace from SQL Profiler and you will see the information at which you need to look at.  For ex: look at the long running queries or SP's.

Start with sp_who, sp_who2...,

Checking Indexes, Joins and may be more research.  I wont agree that the performance problem is with Merge Replication.

Thanks-Mubeen

• Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.  I setup a DB maintenance plan on their production server to help with maintaining the indexes, data integrity, fixing minor errors if needed on their production database.  This is an ecommerce website.  This plan runs on a weekly basis.  They are running merge replication at the moment from one server to another.  With the db maintenance plan running, Friday's at 1am, and the merge replication running continously will this cause any issues for the merge replication process?  Since the db maintenance plan is reindexing and doing data integrity checks, will SQL know to pause the merge agent during this period or if it does not will this affect the merge replication, cause query timeouts or anything like that?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply