SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP SP2 -- HELP ASAP

• From Windows XP SP1 I have decided to shift to XP SP2(not by update),  I have set the port 1433(example only) in the exception of windows firewall. To my surprise my code can no longer connect to the server using TCP/IP Protocol(DBMSSOCN).

This is my code in Visual Basic 6

If chkNT.Value Then

pstr = ";integrated security=sspi"

Else

pstr = ";User ID=" & txtUser & _

";Password=" & txtPassword

End If

mconnstr = "Provider=sqloledb;" & _

"Network Library=DBMSSOCN;" & _

"Data Source=" & txtIpAddress & ",1433;" & _

"Initial Catalog=Mydatabase" & pstr

Even if I turn off the firewall I cant connect, What are the other things that I must configure.

• Is the service started?

What security mode is the server on?

What error are you getting?

What do the windows log tell you?

• Found a new odd problem, I can't open the Query Analyzer now.

(LOCAL)

Error Message:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Computer Name

Error Message:

Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied

----------------

Remi,

1. Yes, the server is running(Started).

2. I am using mixed mode

3. SQL Server does not exist

4. haven't checked it yet

• Check the log... the server might have an expired licence... other than that I have no clue unless you have more info in the logs.

• I am experiencing a similar problem - not sure of the full reasons but try changing the default protocol using the client network utility (e.g. to named pipes).

• http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=43777&DisplayTab=Article

Check that out, did everything in his (MSDN KB)article yet nothing happend I ended going back to SP1.

Oh well is this the end of the road? or the start of the road less travelled.

• I pounded my face against this same problem for about 12 hours with a new MSDE install on XP SP2.  Looking through the Microsoft help page found in the previous post http://support.microsoft.com/?id=841252 , I ran the svrnetcn.exe, disabled TCP/IP, then re-enabled it and suddenly I can connect from a query analyzer.  Hope this helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply