SQL Server 2005

• Hello everyone.

I know this is kind of a loaded question, but .... do people like the improvements made on on SQL Server 2005 over SQL Server 2000? Is it worth upgrading when they come out with the final release?

Any comments or insights will be appreciated. Thank you.

• I would say this is almost the jump made from 6.5 to 7.0. Many, many new features the TSQL enhancements alone make it worth it. Online index rebuilds, oh yeah. I've been playing with it since PASS last year when they gave out beta 1. I've had beta 2 installed for a whopping day now and just love it. I've already started recoding my management scripts to use the new error handling.

Needless to say, I'm in heaven

Wes

• .NET CLR makes it worth the jump alone for us

• I'm kinda scared by the CLR integration - Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT thing. I just think a lot of developers are going to start writing Stored Procs in their favorite language, then wonder why everything is so slow.

I've had enough problems with someone returning a whole (or most of) a table to their app, then looping through every record to make a change when it is sometging that could be done in normal T-SQL.

I'm in the wait and see camp on that one.

I think having a seperate Date and Time datatype will be great!

• I do not know. But I think improvements of T-SQL is powerfull. Now we have recursion in our queries! We can exec select ... from MyTable inner join MyFunction(MyTable.Field). Notifications!!! And so on... It is good.

• by the way , SQL Server 2000 was a great jump than SQL Server 7 ... ecpecially if you use Relationships which was not found in ver 7. and a lot of other features

and i think there will be a lot of solved problem in SQL Server 2005

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply