SQL Server 2005

• Hello everyone.

I know this is kind of a loaded question, but .... do people like the improvements made on on SQL Server 2005 over SQL Server 2000? Is it worth upgrading when they come out with the final release?

Any comments or insights will be appreciated. Thank you.

• Hi Juan!

There are loads of new features in SQL 2005. Not to sure if I like an upgrade this big as moving to the next version of SQL. Half of it would be good enough for me.

But I don't see having any choise then to upgrade. Eventually you have to, if you're gonna stick to SQL Server since support will end on SQL7 and 8.

Personally I have started testing SQL 2005 and find many many improvments, and some that I havn't got the hang of yet. The step from SQL 2000 to 2005 is, as I see it, larger then going from SQL6.5 to SQL7...

robbac
    ___the truth is out there___

• I just installed it yesterday and find it VERY pretty...  (but can they fight) (had to add the dirty dozen ref.).   I have to get used to the new way of navigating but overall it looks to be ok.  VERY VB ideish.

Only thing is you have to get used to new terms like "synonyms", "programmability", etc.. and find where MS hid the stuff we like to use.

The only thing that I don't like so far is QA is integrated directly into the "management suite" along with profiler and it appears like everything else.  I wish (haven't explored a lot yet) that you can bring up QA stand-alone....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• You can connect via QA and it works just fine. They are pushing developers to use the new visual studio that is comming out when 2k5 does. That way you don't have developers with EM and all that stuff installed on the desktops of those who don't need it.

Wes

• Thank you ....

I will download the BETA version and play around with it. You're right ..... whether we want to or not, if we remain loyal to Microsoft .... we have to make the leap of faith. Anyway, thanks for all the advice!!

• It looks very much like VB and I will have to "get over it" But one thing I miss is the Query builder. Where you get a graphical display of the tables and you can join them with drag and drop!

I used it when dealing with complex joins.

Andy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply