SQL Server 2005 and Analysis Service 2005 upgrade

• Hi, All,

I posted this question on http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us yesterday, but did not get any answers, so I am trying here.

--------------------------

Our IT department is planning for the SQL Server/Analysis Service upgrade next year. For budgeting reason, management may want to hold the upgrade of Analysis Service to a later date, after the SQL Server is upgraded to 2005. We store Analysis Service repository in SQL Server databases. Both SQL Server and Analysis Service instances are on the same server. Although we would like to upgrade both components at the same time, we are curious to know if there will be problems if we use SQL Server 2005 database as the repository for Analysis Service 2000. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

Liping

• I don't see any reason not to upgrade both to 2005 versisons.  The Analysis Service is included with SQL Server 2005 Standard and Enterprise, so there is no additional cost there and your existing cubes, etc. should run fine in AS2005.  It looks like you are going to make life considerably more difficult for yourself to save yourself a very small amount of time.

• Thanks for responding! The main cost for our Analysis Service upgrade is labor - converting all applications so they will still work in 2005. We used parallel processing utility in our applications for automated cube processing, and msmdarch for cube promotion. As far as I know, the parallel processing utility did not make it to Analysis Service 2005, therefore upgrading means that we will need to rewrite all the cube processing code.

• Well, your getting beyond my experience with Analsysis Services, but I would recommend Downloading the SQL 2005 June CPT (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/productinfo/ctp.mspx) and experimenting with your cubes in AS2005.  I would be surprised if MS have removed something like the Parallel Processing with out a suitable replacement technology.

Good Luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply